Why no sleepers on UK trucks

gingerfold:
. Seriously, is it healthy for a tramper away for several days to spend virtually every hour in each day in a lorry cab?

In pre-sleeper cab days the 15 hour spread over duty didn’t exist. Have sleeper cabs encouraged these maximum shifts to be worked? I will argue that the sleeper cab has done more harm than good to the working conditions of drivers.

That’s an interesting theory, and you could be right.
I think it was a 12 and a half hour spread over when I started,.and I agree 15 hour days paired with 9 hour rests is ridiculous in this day and age,.and would be difficult to fit in if we were all staying in digs.
Some guys today never leave those cabs for their ‘‘endurance test’’ like 3×15 hour days/9 hour rests, and you’re right, parked in ■■■■ hole lay bys :unamused: …as a first option rather than a last resort. :open_mouth:

I’ve said before on the other forum, the job of tramping can be as good or as crap as the driver makes it for himself, I prefer to try and maintain a bit of social life in the job, maybe not as much (and as wild :smiley: ) as we did in the old days, but I have mates who I meet up with from time to time, who have the same train of thought…so my job ain’t as bad as some.