Any old promotor drivers around

Efes:
Actually Staggie’s wife wasn’t “Martine” but “Marchien” pronounced “Markeen” (an odd Dutch name). She died in March 1995 (just looked it up). I see she was living in Larkfield! Dave and Marchien lived previously on King George V Hill, Tunbridge Wells (known locally as Pig Hill) so I didn’t know they’d moved. When he called me for a job interview at his house in Jan 1979 he told me his address as King George V Hill and i replied “I know it, Pig Hill !”. I could tell he wasn’t at all amused but it’s true that everyone knows it as Pig Hill

The both of them smoked like chimneys. Dave was a funny fellow but he did have a fine sense of humour despite his rather grumpy side. I remember the totally politically incorrect picture he put up on the wall of a lady doing something intimate with a Coca Cola bottle with a note about George Fardell and the use of his empties

Shame it was such a sad end - he absolutely doted on Marchien

Yes, you are right Efes. It was Markeen and it would have been 95 when Liz rang me as I had left the company a couple of years before. I stayed with the two of them maybe half a dozen times at Larkfield. Its a wonder they both lasted as long as they did. They had the most unhealthy lifestyle of anyone I’ve known. Smoking, drinking, fry ups and very little in the way of exercise. Not good for yer.