Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

MrFlibble:
As I mentioned in my other thread - UN2984, Oxidising Agent, “1.5” in the bottom of the diamond, 25-litre barrels. What (if any) LQ exemptions are there?

TIA…

Hi Mr Flibble,

This substance is called:
UN 2984 HYDROGEN PEROXIDE, AQUEOUS SOLUTION, 5.1, PGIII.

To take advantage of LQ exemtions, the consignor would have to pack this substance in 1 litre tubs/bottles and place several in a cardboard box. The consignee would also have to be happy to receive his consignment packaged in this way. What works for a retail shopkeeper wouldn’t necessarily be acceptable to a person buying the same substance for industrial use. In this case, the cardboard box isn’t allowed to weigh more than 30kgs. IF that’s complied with, then there’s no load limit per vehicle and the rest of ADR doesn’t apply. (No orange boards, no ADR licence, no specific docs, you could carry a full load etc etc…)

The boxes would look something like this:

For the substance in your question, the boxes would also need a white label (100x100mm) like this:

Since you mentioned 25 litre drums, the question of LQs cannot arise. The maximum LQ size for any substance is 5 litres for liquids and 6kg for solids, but not all of them are allowed to be packed into receptacles of those sizes. For example, the LQ size for UN 2984 is 1 litre as above. There are approx 26 different combinations of inner Vs. outer package sizes for LQs, and the allowed sizes depend upon the particular substance in question. For the substance in your question, the code assigned is: LQ13.

However, there is another way that an untrained (in an ADR sense) driver could legally carry this stuff in packages. This doesn’t rely on package sizes though, so the packages could be the 25 litre drums you mentioned for instance. If this were the case then the limit would be 1,000 litres per vehicle. 1,000 litres (or less) per vehicle would require a 2kg dry powder fire extinguisher to be carried on board the vehicle for a UK journey. If it were an international journey, then there would be an additional requirement for a transport document (Please see my reply to 8-wheeels above) In either case, the carriage of UN 2984 in drums requires special vented caps to be fitted to the drums.
This 1,000 litre exemption ISN’T called LQs :wink:

It would also be dangerous to assume that there’s a blanket exemption of 1,000 litres for all substances. For some substances, the limit would be 20kg/ltr, for others the limit would be 333kg/ltr. For some others, there’s NO exemption whatsoever, and for others, there’s NO LIMIT whatsoever. These limits depend on the particular substance involved. If carriage by sea was involved, the goalposts would move still further :open_mouth:

If the load of UN 2984 wasn’t packaged in LQs, the packages would need correct labelling (see below.) Then if there were to be more than 1,000 litres going on the vehicle, the driver would need an ADR licence and the rest of ADR would apply, such as orange boards, documentation and PPE etc etc…

I’m guessing that there’s a typo at work here MrFlibble, [because class 1.5 is an explosive :open_mouth: ] OR the UN number is wrong. My guess is that the label you saw looked like this:
(With OR without the words “OXIDISING AGENT.”)

Does this help??