Starting up pros cons and rates

Any work that is easy to get on, you’ll only be earning a driver’s wage from running your own truck, if that. Running around for £1.30-£1.50 on traction, tramping on crap work is nuts if you ask me. Far better off getting a decent driver’s job without the inevitable oh no moment.

Although one chap on here runs at £1.50 out loaded and back empty so effectively £3 per loaded mile with his own trailer for one customer so I can kinda see that’s ok. He could back load it if he could be arsed. Ms explosives ran at £5 per loaded mile, she could back load the trailers if she wanted too, which is the holy grail that most people will never see.

My best rate when I was doing it was £2.80 per mile with my own double deck box trailers doing two drop and swaps of 250 mile total per shift. Light work, loaded both ways. The truck was double shifted 6 days per week all year round.

One way work has the added problem of if there’s enough work to keep you running all year round, less so with traction although they can still drop you if it goes quiet.

You need to lease rather than buy unless you’re minted as when trucks start to go wrong it can cost a fortune.

If you can get on something decent that the masses can’t get on is the only reason to start on your own in my opinion but as Jean Luc Picard says, “All good things come to an end.”

Luck is the deciding factor in how long the gravy train lasts, so the question then is, are you feeling lucky?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk