Starting up pros cons and rates

albion:
I cant say dont do it because I did, and it was a good company, but the truth is you are highly unlikely to do anything more than make an average wage with a lot more hassle.

I dont think it is tiredness, its experience.

Bad form to quote oneself, but I’ll repeat, I wont say dont do it, but be aware that you are unlikely to do more than make a wage.

The same applies to me when I started. The job has always been hard. I can go back to my Dad and his tipper in the late 60s and they weren’t the good old days for sure, in fact they were probably the same, some atrocious rates and a lot of competition. Only difference is that my Dad wouldn’t be spendingbsll day Sunday fixing the truck now because they are too complicated and/or need software.

The advice again, dont get overly bogged down in numbers. I never did, I literally worked on how the business felt overall and in the day to day, wages +fuel should come to around roughly 50% of your charge for you to stay viable. If they are less, then that is good. To this day I wouldn’t have a clue how to do a spreadsheet.