Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

dieseldave:

8wheels:
For example, could I move a 3000l tank with 1000l in it.

Using the words “tank” or “package” the answer is: 'fraid not. It’s decided by the nominal capacity, rather than the amount actually in it. It’s academic in your case, but the maximum allowed size for an IBC is 3,000 litres. Without an ADR licence, you’ll still be caught by the 1,000 litre limit per vehicle though, because an IBC is counted as a package.

Peter K:
Dave

I always understood this to be the case i.e. capacity not contents but I couldn’t find that rule recently in the ADR books. You haven’t got a reference have you?

Pete.

Hi Pete,
Sorry mate, but I can’t quite tell which quote you’re asking for, or which “ADR books” you are using.
In any case, your question doesn’t relate to any part of a driver’s duties, unless the driver also owns the truck, since it’s for the “carrier” and the “consignor” to decide whether the Regs apply. BTW, both the “carrier” and the “consignor” must have a properly qualified (by examination) DGSA, unless they’re exempt from that requirement.
:blush: It’s possible that I haven’t correctly understood your question, due to a large number of variables. :blush:

The eventual answer to your question will depend upon whether you’re asking about a liquid, a solid or a gas (you’d need to do this by quoting the “proper shipping name”) and which type of receptacle/package/tank is to be used. I’m afraid it isn’t as straightforward as “nominal capacity” in all cases. That’s the reason that you couldn’t find the rule that you’re looking for. I’m also afraid that the UK doesn’t blindly follow ADR at all times, especially on a particularly “British” question, like a “UK journey.” In cases when we don’t follow ADR, we have a set of Regs called "The Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2007. (We shorten this to CDG 2007.) Sometimes, we have further exemptions granted by the DfT.

I do apologise if I appear vague, but 8-wheels’ question was about a specific substance in a specific type of package being carried in the UK. Not all of my answers to his questions can be found by looking in ADR :wink: If you’re using ADR on its own for UK journeys, you’re possibly commiting one or more offences.

I’m steering away from quotes at the moment, until I know exactly which books you’re using and I’m happy that I’ve understood your question correctly. Believe me, if I start with quotes and you’re not using the full set of current law-books, the quotes won’t mean anything to you. :wink:

I hope this helps :confused: (I have a feeling that this one might go to PMs :wink: )