Buses, coaches, & lorries

cav551:
The RCL ( Routemaster Coach Lengthened) 30’ long, was considered the pinacle of luxury. The longer wheel base gave a much better ride than the rathe choppy ride at speed of the RMC. These were powered by the larger AV690 set at 150bhp at 1800 rpm. The same 4.7/1 rear axle was used making these a fast powerful bus. Seating 65 these were 8 tons 3cwt unladen and 12 tons 7 cwt laden. In other respects they were similar to the RMC

I’m guessing that’s what I was describing to Robert.Growing up around the motor trade I was familiar with most of what could be termed the premium end of the car market in the day and was suitably impressed by some trips from Kingston to outer areas of Surrey on what seems to have been a few of these used on such routes.Especially mainly being used to the old RT’s on 65/71 route with RM limited to the 281 route at the time.

Also not sure but seem to remember that although having a ride quality varying between bad to abysmal the RT seemed to be a bit quicker in the hands of the right ( wrong ) driver than the RM ?.Especially if running between the old white compulsory v red request stops with no requests to stop.

Ironically I only recently found out that compulsory stops have all been abolished now but still retaining the old white signage obviously just to confuse us old ■■■■■. :open_mouth: