Reverse [zb] up on assessment

Look at my old posting. No one could have a worst start to this job than me. No one could be less technically able. I was shocking. And I’m still average on my best day.

But now I can put an artic on any bay. Including the dark side. It just comes with practise. Loads of frustration - and eventually it gets easier. I now find it easier to reverse an artic than my car if I’m honest.

Here is my class 1 story. Passed via fluke. The night after passing the place I was agencying on class 2 needed an artic driver. So I put my hand up. The normal driver had hurt his back. First reverse took out a street sign. Denied all knowledge. Confidence gone. Then I got offered work picking up and dropping off trailers full of booze for supermarkets. Was so shocking the shunter told me he couldn’t see me struggle and that if I just dropped it he would sort it. I felt for a while like I’d never get it. Just not smashing stuff up felt like luck to me.

What really got me half reasonable was two things. Eurocarparts - no assessment as they were busy. And off I was going into London and all over the country and reversing with no one watching. At first I was so scared I was pulling cages miles to make it easier. But my confidence and skills improved. Then I went onto sainsburys where I had no choice but to work at it. If I can reverse and artic anyone can.

I regularly now have ‘tight’ reverses including blindside. Difference between now and then… I don’t care if I take ages. I don’t care if people are watching. If I’m unsure I get out. If someone is giving me grief they get a tablet. And I realise I’m paid by the hour.

Tips - on good side reverse in the rear wheels. Don’t keep your head out the window all the time, once you have the lock coming off get the trailer bang between the mirrors. Set your mirrors up right. And then take it slow. Bad side… if it’s very tight then jackknife it in and use your units back wheels as a guide if you can. Try and have visual clues as to when to get the lock off. If you need/want use an old glove as a marker. There is no right and wrong way. But you will be fine.