Reverse [zb] up on assessment

Assessor was a ■■■■■ No one can reverse after they pass their test. I went out with an experienced driver for a week to learn the ropes and this helps a lot, do this even if it’s on your own dime.

No substitute for practical experience but initial positioning is key and the most important part of setting up a reverse. Giving yourself as little work with the steering wheel as possible is what it’s all about. Go as far forward as you can as most reverses fail as the driver doesn’t give himself enough room to begin with.

You want the arse end as close to being square on the bay as possible on a diagonal slant.

Bear in mind that the trailer will pivot on the back wheel. It’s better to be too far over on the drivers side and taking a shunt to straighten it up then being too far over on the near side in case you hit the trailer you can’t see.

Always try and reverse on your driver side even if this means turning around. Blind side reverse is to be avoided at all cost.

Go slowly, looking in your near side mirror/window so you don’t clout the unit/front of trailer as well as sticking your head out the window for the rear of trailer.

Don’t be lazy and get out and look at your near side if needs be.

Also just reset and start again if you think you have got it wrong, the amount you see that keep going when it’s obvious they’ve made a haymes of it is unbelievable.

If you don’t think you can do it without damaging anything then just say so. No medals for being the big I am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk