Cumbria companies

Leyland600:
To Carl & John, Yes it is remarkable how the dialects change as we cross from the North East through the Tyne valley to Brampton-Carlisle- through North ■■■■■■■ and down into South ■■■■■■■ with variations in the Penrith and Keswick districts. There is a huge difference from North Northumberland south through Tyneside and different parts of Co Durham to Teesside and North Yorkshire. After spending my lifetime in transport mainly I like to think I can pick out a district or town accent over quite a large area both in England and Scotland as far north Shetland. A lot of the words are derived from the days when the Vikings roamed the north. Our dialects should be preserved for all time. Who remembers when Stan Robson had “Robsons frae Carlisle” painted across the back platform crossmember of his wagons.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Yes indeed Robsons were the best in those days IMO, I new some of their drivers , They were canny lads, Cliff Charlton one of their shunters used to load at the Carnation factory in Dumfries, I quite often got a back load from Robsons at the Metals Box Works at Botcherby for Dainty Dina Toffees Ltd at Chester le Street, The good old long gone never to come back days, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.