Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

tyneside:
Couple more from the NE

Hi Tyneside,
Is Westmorland Road Adams & Gibbons the showroom that had parking on the roof? If so I always wondered what it was like. In those days they were Daimler agents as well as Vauxhall, before Jaguar acquired them in the Lord & Lady Docker days. I remember my grandfather was considering buying a new Daimler that they had in stock, and was surprised as it was on the roof and he didn’t know they had cars up there. In my lifetime or memory time we dealt with Clayton Street Durham, where in my early driving days I used to go to almost every day. Occasionally we had to go to Dunn Street or Sunderland which was near the Empire Theatre, and in the later days Hebburn Gardens Felling. They seemed such a large company I never thought they would disappear.

Watson’s Bedford is a rare sight today. They had so many running round the North East or more often than enough parked in the transport café at Chester Moor Chester Le Street anytime after 2.30 on an afternoon, waiting to return at end of day to Spennymoor at 5.00Pm. We used to laugh at how blind the management were to allow this as they made no effort to hide, but it was part of Tay-Forth group so I suppose no-one gave a ■■■■.

Carl