Any old promotor drivers around

Been looking at some of the photos again and one that intrigued me was the one of John Preece standing by the ex German army ‘Munga’. Nothing untoward in this photo you may think but to me somethings wrong. It’s where Efes says the vehicle was rebuilt by a certain David Boulding.

Now Mr Boulding was a Promotor driver who joined the company around 78/9 and if my memory, what there is of it, is correct stayed as a loyal, quiet and unassuming driver with the company for about ten years. Absolutely no way was he a top notch mechanic nor high powered salesman yet Efes tells us he rebuilt the ‘Munga’ and then flogged it to John. I know John could be a bit gullible at times but I think there must be more to the story than Efes is letting on about. Perhaps John had been on the booze with Mr Boulding before he agreed to buy it but that doesn’t stack up as I thought Mr Boulding was teatotal.

Another thing about our Mr Boulding was that he was fluent in French and German. I remember him trying to explain to us how to reply to a frenchman when he greets you with ‘Ca Va’. After five minutes of that lesson I think he was muttering something about ‘teach and pork’ as he walked away from us. I also remember another lesson was how to communicate with ‘les mesdemoiselles’ when we stepped off the ferry in France. He didn’t get very far with that one especially after Graham Bertram told us he just smiled at them and said in english ‘hello babe’. And we all know how much success he had with the ladies. None of us were in Graham’s league.

No Efes. I really don’t think you knew our Mr Boulding at all well.