Buses, coaches, & lorries

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:
This Albion Lowlander, Reg.No. 747 EUS, started life in 1961 as a demonstrator in Edinburgh,
Glasgow, and probably other bus fleets. After its time as a demonstrator, it was purchased by
Bamber Bridge Motor Services near Preston. In 1968, the company was bought by Ribble, and
747 EUS became a Ribble bus. I don’t know which depot or depots it was based at, but during
the 1970s, it became a Wigan depot machine, where there were many other Albions.

Ray Smyth.

It operated with its original destination display in Ribble days, and I believe that it was modified after damage to the front dome. For a super anorak point, I remember the mould for that front dome lying in the yard of the paint and bodyshop, visible from the road, for years. It was right next door to my primary school :slight_smile:

Untitled by Chris Roberts, on Flickr

Thank you for the picture of Albion 1968, it is one that I hadn’t seen before. I always thought that the original front dome looked better
than the remainder of the Ribble Albions, it being at the same level as the side windows. Cheers Chris, Ray.