Wannabe Driver Question

Goff118:
Hi again all,

I sent in an application for the casual delivery van driver job and they have asked me to interview next week. It’s minimum wage but only 8 hours a weekend so I’m going to interview and see what happens.

My thinking is that if it goes well and I enjoy the driving as a job then I’m half way to knowing whether to push on and get a C licence and I could use the wage to save for the licence at the same time. The free crate of beer each month will be well received too! :slight_smile:

Another thought is that they have HGVs on the road also, so do I mention that driving those is something I’d like to do in the future or not.

Any advice or thoughts much appreciated!

Paul

Congrats on getting to the interview stage.

I would absolutely mention you’re interested in bigger vehicles and already have your provisional C - Depending on the company, they might even offer you a deal to sign an employment contract for a set amount of time, in exchange for putting you through your Cat C + CPC. Even if they don’t, it would be worth asking how it works for CPC, if they provide training etc for the potential future.

Van drivers will work much harder in my opinion, as you wont be on a tacho so no need to take breaks by certain amount of time in to the shift etc.
As it is beer delivery, I would be asking if there is a driver’s mate, although you are looking at van level now, most Cat C driving jobs for drinks give you a driver’s mate. - My local brewery does, as well as DHL Tradeteam do anyway - I think K+N do too when deliverying to the customer?

Do you get a choice of what beer the crate is each month ? :laughing: