Lorry driver given four year sentence after fatal

jakethesnake:

nomiS36:

jakethesnake:
One thing that always confuses me is why holding a phone to your ear can cause an accident?

I actually agree with this.
It’s not holding the phone to your ear that causes the crash by distraction, it’s the phone call itself so holding the phone or being hands free makes no difference imo.

Yep, you have cracked it I reckon but we will always get the ones that think they are capable.
Of course some are more capable than others but can anyone afford to take the chance?

Hands free will be banned soon.

‘‘Autopilot mode’’ in a truck is a technique that comes with experience imo.
You invariably get the situation where you need to take some sort of evasive action whilst in that mode, and manage to do so, but at the same time you have passed 2 or more MSAs for instance, but have no recollection of doing so…not necessarily on a phone either.
After saying that though, that guy was 69 years old, with presumably vast experience, but effed up…, so as you say it’s an individual thing it seems.

No doubt the blanket /baby with bathwater ban situation will come about, as true to form in the UK. :unamused: , despite the problem not justifying it…I mean it’s one or two cases in last few years, not exactly epidemic problem proportions is it. :unamused: