It's my last day

anisboy:
Cheers lads :slight_smile:

We’re here now enjoying a few days trying to find a house, got a cheapy car yesterday (SWMBO’s is in a container somewhere in the UK ready to be shipped) and just doing a few touristy things before I start next week.

We used Paul Goddard at the DUC NZ (Down Under Centre). The company is based in the UK but Paul is in Auckland (being an expat himself) which helps a lot. The onus is on you to find a job etc but he will smooth out the niggles and make sure everything is in place so that your visa (and job) application go without any hitches. Yes you can do it all yourself (cheaper) but you carry with it the risk of something not being right and it delaying the process (which is very expensive anyway) and in some cases being denied a visa.

The rules have changed for Work to Residency so it may not be a cost effective option for transport companies any more (frankly NZ shooting themselves in the foot as they really do have a driver shortage) but keep trying, and keep a look out for any future changes. For those who just want to give it a go, I think the 12 month visa is still available but that is all you get and then you can’t return to NZ for another 12 months. However Canstaff are the ones to contact on that basis.

Finally, if you’re wanting to come for money, don’t bother. It’s the life style that makes it better, and more opportunities for the youngsters. If you haven’t been to NZ, I strongly recommend visiting before looking at emigrating, its not easy and it’s a huge move to make, not just for you but extended family as well. In addition to that the cost of making the move is astronomical, so you have to be REALLY sure it is what you want to do.

For me, we first visited in 2017 and as we were flying in over Auckland (which I had never seen before apart from some pictures) I had the distinct feeling that I was coming home. I did not get that coming back to the UK, and the UK to be honest has not felt right for many years. I haven’t been able to shake that feeling since we went back to the UK, even the roads felt unnatural, and now I’m back here in NZ everything has just slipped into place.

However, now the hard work starts to make sure we secure the life we hope it will be.

I got that very same feeling as soon as i walked out of the airport in Christchurch, if younger I would have never come home, too old for Visa
Great post
You will do well it’s not all about money