Typical European work

Short n sweet… typically how does European work…work?

2 weeks away, back for weekend?
1 away, back for weekend etc etc.

I know companies will all have different work patterns but I’m just wondering if there is a typical standard pattern.

Ta much

My experience of European was that it wasn’t typical, different route every trip, new destinations, locals, distance, new countries, 10 weeks away or 2 weeks in the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
My experience of European was that it wasn’t typical, different route every trip, new destinations, locals, distance, new countries, 10 weeks away or 2 weeks in the UK

So u were basically in Europe for 10 weeks?

How often did u come home and for how long?

he was away for so long that everyti.e he came home his dog attacked him

Some work is just trunking and trailer drops, some one hit while other is multi drop/collection. Some is two or three channel crossings a week, other can be weeks swooping trailers in a Euro port. Some is weekends away, other is home most weekends.
String is available in many different lengths. [emoji5]
Not as much work as there was a few years back, but it still comes in a variety of flavours.
Tell us what your absolute ideal job would be, and you can judge by the volume of laughter how unlikely it’ll be to find it![emoji5]
Seriously? There is still some decent work here to suit many who don’t want to stay UK side.

UK is leaving the EU at the end of the month what European work?

I had loaded trailers sent over to France from the UK , I drop my loaded trailer at the port then pick up another one .
I would stay away from home for months on end , getting a service done in Bordeaux , oil change, fuel filters done .
I carried my,own grease gun , anything with a ■■■■■■ , in i squirted , Dipper Dave style .

If you look on S&K website , they always want UK drivers , Benelux : home weekends or further afield for a few weeks .
Years ago the meals on Brittany ferries was free for drivers but due food being stolen ,you now pay with a discount , some old timers will remember steak blue on Truckline Poole to Cherbourg, it was raw steak with blood running , and the Portacabin chained down on the top deck for married drivers .

Being parked up for five days for an Easter truck ban in Italy , you make the best of it , so parked by a swimming pool and get the cable car up the mountain in Aosta .
Or when I flew back for the border shut in Irun , left the truck at Bordeaux airport, rang Bob Garnett from a UK phone box , he didn’t like that .

Riho:

Europe doesn’t cease to exist, we are still Europeans as opposed to Asians or Africans, North or South Americans, Australasian or Antarctic people. We are not leaving a continent, just a set of unfair rules.

Wheel Nut:

Riho:

Europe doesn’t cease to exist, we are still Europeans as opposed to Asians or Africans, North or South Americans, Australasian or Antarctic people. We are not leaving a continent, just a set of unfair rules.

Fair enough, I mean we as estonians do plenty of trade with the chinese, which is similar. As in we drop the container at the port and that’s all there is.

milodon:

Wheel Nut:

Riho:

Fair enough, I mean we as estonians do plenty of trade with the chinese, which is similar. As in we drop the container at the port and that’s all there is.

I think this is another example of cherry picking. The so called set of unfair rules can only be changed from within and not from outside. Ferry trailers is the future in a post Brexit era.

Tonymcg:

Wheel Nut:

So u were basically in Europe for 10 weeks?

How often did u come home and for how long?

I used to have a couple of days at home, maybe 3, I got bored easily, longest I did was 16 weeks, it paid well, but it took the toll eventually. I have just married the girl I left behind, 30 years later [emoji12]

I’ll be leaving Scotland tomorrow, for Switzerland. Ferry from Hull to Zeeby’. I should be in Switzerland Monday evening.
Tuesday I’ll do my Swiss deliveries, then start my collections, hopefully get out of Swiss and an hour or more North.
Wed’ I’ll do any other collections and be on the ferry to Hull Wed’ evening.
Thursday I’ll deliver everything I can en-route back to the yard. I might pick up a load for Scotland, if I’m empty far enough South for it to be worth while.
Friday and Saturday off, start again Sunday

Last week was the same basic plan, but to Bayern. I had 2 drops near Frankfurt on the way down on Monday.
Tuesday did the drop in Bayern, reloaded near Passau and got far enough back to catch the Hull ferry Wed’ night.

Europeans will still want goods which are made in Britain, so there will still be European work. How much will depend on how badly all those politicians screw their job up.
If they do a decent job, after the initial couple of months while everyone settles into the new systems there will have to be, it should be similar to before Brexit ever reared it’s ugly head.
If they don’t, it could be a right cluster [ZB].

toby1234abc:
I had loaded trailers sent over to France from the UK , I drop my loaded trailer at the port then pick up another one .
I would stay away from home for months on end , getting a service done in Bordeaux , oil change, fuel filters done .
I carried my,own grease gun , anything with a ■■■■■■ , in i squirted , Dipper Dave style .

If you look on S&K website , they always want UK drivers , Benelux : home weekends or further afield for a few weeks .
Years ago the meals on Brittany ferries was free for drivers but due food being stolen ,you now pay with a discount , some old timers will remember steak blue on Truckline Poole to Cherbourg, it was raw steak with blood running , and the Portacabin chained down on the top deck for married drivers .

Being parked up for five days for an Easter truck ban in Italy , you make the best of it , so parked by a swimming pool and get the cable car up the mountain in Aosta .
Or when I flew back for the border shut in Irun , left the truck at Bordeaux airport, rang Bob Garnett from a UK phone box , he didn’t like that .

Bob Garnett, there is a blast from the past…

Them bloody old mega trailers he had were a proper pita.

Onions from spain being a particular favourite job…[emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

From searching on the internet , Bob Garnett has been an hot air balloon pilot in the Sussex area .
From the Garnett Eurotrans era , he had an office assistant called Ian with a high pitched voice, fluent in Spanish .
I also pulled for Paul Fogden trading as Freight Transfer .
Both of them did JCB’s to Portugal for Motivo lda .
Lost count of the coffee money to the Portuguese traffic police or Brigado Traffico GNR , for so called being over height with the diggers , or running on a truck ban when there wasn’t .
Those immortal words of " You must pay ."
Diggers must have upset the French , as we used Bilbao and Santander to avoid France , something to do with Manitou .

So I’ve found out a little bit more on the potential euro work, extra money, length etc etc but 1 thing that was said to me was,

During any weekly rest periods, 24/45 I wouldne get paid as that would mean the company would be “responsible” for me, I presume my safety or maybe something else…

Now, does that mean if they wont be paying me, I am no longer responsible for the safety and security of the vehicle, trailer and load.

Or am I just clutching at straws and that’s the norm for not paying.

Tonymcg:
So I’ve found out a little bit more on the potential euro work, extra money, length etc etc but 1 thing that was said to me was,

During any weekly rest periods, 24/45 I wouldne get paid as that would mean the company would be “responsible” for me, I presume my safety or maybe something else…

Now, does that mean if they wont be paying me, I am no longer responsible for the safety and security of the vehicle, trailer and load.

Or am I just clutching at straws and that’s the norm for not paying.

Ir means that you are at work, and they don’t want to pay you for it.
If it is a really good overall package otherwise, it may be OK, but I would think twice before being at work, for nowt. But that doesn’t sound good.
Some bosses might find it difficult to get a backload, and instruct you to take a 45 off while waiting…
Imagine work UK Mon Tues. Ship Weds and tip EU Fri morn. No load until Mon morning?
No pay Fri lunch til Mon morning? If they are right buggers with “No responsibility for you” will they pay your 3 night’s out Fri, Sat, Sun?
Might be OK. But it sounds bad.

One thing I learnt early on was forget the calendar as you know it, from this day on you will work with a lunar calendar, though shalt work 6 days and on the sabbath you shall rest, this all depends on whereabouts you are in the world or whose God you follow, is it the Muslim Sabbath, The Jewish Sabbath or the Christian Sabbath.

Your Sabbath could fall on a Wednesday dependent on traffic, you may fall lucky and find yourself in a part of Europe that doesn’t allow lorries on Sunday, or you could find yourself chasing for a boat at 10pm. I fell on a job that started on Thursday lunchtime so my weekend began on Tuesday afternoon. If I happened to be home I discovered day drinking as there was nobody about on a Tuesday evening in our village. :smiley:

as above .
the tacho is your god and it will dictate your sabbath at random.
it could be on the bilbao ferry or it could be surrounded by taliban at a rest area.
on the bright side it could be on the costa del spain where you can convince yourself your a human being for a while or the crem de la crem could be a lost weekend at la jon…if you come home skint and owe more than you earned,then you will know you must have had a good time. :slight_smile:

Dieseldog 999 , you can’t knock a weekend off at La Jonquera , everything you need there for a driver from washing the duvet , numerous large buffet all you can eat restaurants .
Ladies of the day and night plus the club down the road .
The downside is cab security , where you may get clocked walking to the shower with a towel , that gives the robbery mafia time to empty the cab but leave behind the Y fronts .

Lloret del Mar was a good place , cheap parking in the bus station or free by the hotels in town on some side streets .
Zona Franca Barcelona , I wouldn’t park there .
Free parking inside the port , by the Petromirales garage , shower and decent grub .
Marseilles a no go area , tip the load and get out .
FBI 's most wanted walking around with scars on their faces .