Astran / Middle East Drivers

sinbin31:
Ian

If my brain cells are intact the New Mercs were driven by John Bruce,Barry Barnes And Denis McGrath.I think Steve Goodman only did One trip in the Merc when he was called in by Bob Paul to do a one off after he had said his goodbyes after getting married,I did a short story on Steve a while ago As I was the Last to see him alive ,it was in Bulgaria ,I was on my way out and he was homeward bound on that fatal trip.Sorry I cant say any more,its most upsetting as Steve and I were good buddies and his loss gutted me big time.

Rita

Hi Rita,
I knew Steve Goodman for a short while - hitched a lift with him from
Kent to Jordan toward the end of my gap year and at the start of a three month trip around the Middle East/Europe before starting university in summer 1980. It was either just before or just after Jayne and he got married. I made contact with Jayne after I got back and heard the shocking news, stayed in touch for a while.
I was thinking of them today as I’ve just dropped my 19 year old son up to the same uni at the end of his gap year. I wonder what Jayne’s doing 39 years on…
Had a brilliant 10 days in the cab with Steve that I still remember vividly, including a chilli eating contest with locals at a truck stop in Syria. I still feel upset thinking about it, and only knew him briefly.
Sorry for your loss.
Ben