UK to Austria - overnight parking

dieseldave:

Slater & Son:
Hi Simon,
Thanks for the info. That sounds much better than any services, for food anyway.
Plan being Dover - Calais overseas, Zeebruuge, Aachen, (possibly via Geiselwind) Bad Reichenhall, Frohnleiten. On the way back I’ll make it up as I go. This is a nostalgic run rather than the quickest way point to point I might add.

Hi S&S,

You might consider the little Shell garage in Deggendorf. (Not sure if it’s still there though!)

I used to do trailer swaps there and then double back into Austria, so Deggendorf was handy for the inevitable hanging around when things didn’t quite go according to plan.

It is conveniently near to a nostalgic choice of border crossing because you’d not be far from Suben and Schärding.

If you have time once you’re at Graz, I remember that there was an impressive ‘proper’ old steam locomotive just in front of the railway station.

As an alternative, IIRC, some of the lads used to use a place at Hengersberg too.

:bulb: There’s a caveat with the above though, … my very nostalgic info is all also from the 80’s. :smiley:

Hiya, if you’re running in a van, do you intend to sleep in it or are you opting for a hotel?

On your way down (depending on the route your taking A3 or A6) you can use autohof Geiselwind, there’s a hotel opposite the truckstop. If you’re coming down on the A6 I would recommend Mittelstetten, I’m not sure about the official name of the place, but the locals and long time visitors call it “Mutti” (nan). Lovely place with good food and a very pleasant atmosphere.

If you’re able to get any further, or if you’re on your way back home again, Passau might be an option, search for a B&B hotel, restaurant is 500 yards further down the road.

I’m not sure if that Shell garage is still there in Deggendorf DD, it’s been a while since I left the autobahn to tip in Deggendorf…

Aah… Hengersberg! Spent quite some time there, although last time I was in is a good 8 years ago. Place had been renovated, looked quite posh … the old garage opposite the Esso truckstop has renewed his parking, you get a proper view when you drive past it.

Just over the border at Suben is another Shell truckstop with a hotel on the premises and there used to be a Shell somewhere in the middle between Suben and Graz, can’t remember exactly where it was though… hopefully this is of any help and not too late… :blush:

Cheers, Patrick