Why is it so hard to become a trucker in Canada now?

Hyh:
To get a Class 1 driving licence here takes 2 weeks of practical training and a couple tests plus the theory - you can in theory be done within a month…

In Canada it is a bit different and yes, it is more involving due to immigration and things take a lot longer. Harder though? Well their idea of driving hours are different to the UK and the idea you take your weekly break on the road isn’t uncommon as I understand, especially if you’re driving between Canada and the US and back. But their trucks are designed for longer distances with bigger sleeper cabs.

You need 5 years Class 1 experience in a similar field to what you’ll be moving. For example if you’re planning to go with Agritel in Mannitoba and move fruit and veggies on their refrigerated box trailers, you’ll need some experience moving food and chillers in the UK first - Same for Bison and their Flatbeds - Which doesn’t sound as nice when rechaining stuff in the middle of a Canadian winter.

Everything I’ve read suggests there is a driver shortage in Canada, but I wonder if it is a shortage of drivers willing to accept the pay rate per mile and the conditions. I’ve also read there is a shortage of drivers in the US. So much so, some colleges in Florida are now training truck drivers and Walmart are offering up to $90K per year. With a bit of experience in the US, you can make a lot of money in the oil fields but it is filthy work and as I understand, most drivers only stick it out a couple years or so to pay off mortgages etc, then return to something a bit more “normal”

Ofcourse in Canada and the US, the health system is very different and insurance can be a problem for anyone with a pre-existing condition, making life incredibly expensive or impossible if you suddenly become too sick to work.

Both Canada and the US, in my opinion have a lot more opportunities compared to the UK if you’re under 40, fit and healthy and don’t mind being away from home weeks at a time.

Thanks for the reply but I was referring more about the immigration process, not the pros and cons of Canadian / US trucking.