Why is it so hard to become a trucker in Canada now?

I’ve been reading through some older posts via the search function and a lot of people are saying it’s significantly harder, nearly impossible in fact, to move from the UK to Canada to continue your trucking career. I don’t really understand why this is the case though? I thought there was a shortage of truckers even in Canada and Google results seem to suggest there are, combined with an easier immigration process with special programmes like Provincial nominee programme I thought it would be easier than ever?

Could it be the case where people say harder but what they actually mean is longer? As in it just takes a longer time for everything to be processed etc? The Manitoba PNP seems to still be in full force and they’re even predicting higher demands for foreign workers in the future…

To get a Class 1 driving licence here takes 2 weeks of practical training and a couple tests plus the theory - you can in theory be done within a month…

In Canada it is a bit different and yes, it is more involving due to immigration and things take a lot longer. Harder though? Well their idea of driving hours are different to the UK and the idea you take your weekly break on the road isn’t uncommon as I understand, especially if you’re driving between Canada and the US and back. But their trucks are designed for longer distances with bigger sleeper cabs.

You need 5 years Class 1 experience in a similar field to what you’ll be moving. For example if you’re planning to go with Agritel in Mannitoba and move fruit and veggies on their refrigerated box trailers, you’ll need some experience moving food and chillers in the UK first - Same for Bison and their Flatbeds - Which doesn’t sound as nice when rechaining stuff in the middle of a Canadian winter.

Everything I’ve read suggests there is a driver shortage in Canada, but I wonder if it is a shortage of drivers willing to accept the pay rate per mile and the conditions. I’ve also read there is a shortage of drivers in the US. So much so, some colleges in Florida are now training truck drivers and Walmart are offering up to $90K per year. With a bit of experience in the US, you can make a lot of money in the oil fields but it is filthy work and as I understand, most drivers only stick it out a couple years or so to pay off mortgages etc, then return to something a bit more “normal”

Ofcourse in Canada and the US, the health system is very different and insurance can be a problem for anyone with a pre-existing condition, making life incredibly expensive or impossible if you suddenly become too sick to work.

Both Canada and the US, in my opinion have a lot more opportunities compared to the UK if you’re under 40, fit and healthy and don’t mind being away from home weeks at a time.

Hyh:
Ofcourse in Canada and the US, the health system is very different and insurance can be a problem for anyone with a pre-existing condition, making life incredibly expensive or impossible if you suddenly become too sick to work.

And despite what people think you can’t just hop on a plane back to Blighty and use the NHS. Access to the NHS for free is based on residency, not the fact you’re British or have a British passport. Yes they’ll treat you if its an emergency but they’ll also look at recouping the cost if it is one of the things not included in the list of stuff that is free for all regardless where you come from or they’ll not treat you until you’ve paid up front if its non-emergency.

Hyh:
To get a Class 1 driving licence here takes 2 weeks of practical training and a couple tests plus the theory - you can in theory be done within a month…

In Canada it is a bit different and yes, it is more involving due to immigration and things take a lot longer. Harder though? Well their idea of driving hours are different to the UK and the idea you take your weekly break on the road isn’t uncommon as I understand, especially if you’re driving between Canada and the US and back. But their trucks are designed for longer distances with bigger sleeper cabs.

You need 5 years Class 1 experience in a similar field to what you’ll be moving. For example if you’re planning to go with Agritel in Mannitoba and move fruit and veggies on their refrigerated box trailers, you’ll need some experience moving food and chillers in the UK first - Same for Bison and their Flatbeds - Which doesn’t sound as nice when rechaining stuff in the middle of a Canadian winter.

Everything I’ve read suggests there is a driver shortage in Canada, but I wonder if it is a shortage of drivers willing to accept the pay rate per mile and the conditions. I’ve also read there is a shortage of drivers in the US. So much so, some colleges in Florida are now training truck drivers and Walmart are offering up to $90K per year. With a bit of experience in the US, you can make a lot of money in the oil fields but it is filthy work and as I understand, most drivers only stick it out a couple years or so to pay off mortgages etc, then return to something a bit more “normal”

Both Canada and the US, in my opinion have a lot more opportunities compared to the UK if you’re under 40, fit and healthy and don’t mind being away from home weeks at a time.

Thanks for the reply but I was referring more about the immigration process, not the pros and cons of Canadian / US trucking.

The boom time for British drivers to emigrate to Canada was back in 2006-2008 when a government issued LMO from the potential employer was the only requirement providing the driver could meet the criteria regarding experience and criminal record checks, health checks
etc and LMO’s were reasonably straightforward to acquire.
Now with the LMIA requirements and regulations the whole system seems to be more of a convoluted process and opportunities are fewer but that said it is still possible to emigrate as a truck driver if you can find a company who are willing to jump through all the hoops.
The big problem now is the brand new minimum entry level training (MELT) which now means that obtaining a Canadian CDL (truck driving license) now takes several weeks training and costs a minimum of $10,000. This is actual law and applies equally whether or not you already held a European LGV license or even how many previous years experience you have.

So what would be the required language to work in Canada I know they speak French and English but do they require immigrants to at least have a bit of English
Like people from India or Pakistan or elsewhere

I know two people from my old workplace that went to Canada to drive, and never came back.

Perhaps Canada has the same problem with being “flooded by UK immigrant drivers” as we do with regards to EE drivers?

Winseer:
I know two people from my old workplace that went to Canada to drive, and never came back.

Perhaps Canada has the same problem with being “flooded by UK immigrant drivers” as we do with regards to EE drivers?

Not a chance. Most Brit drivers are too lazy and bone idle to flood anywhere with anything. They’d rather complain on Facebook than make a positive change and chase an opportunity to better their circumstances.

harrawaffa:

Winseer:

Not a chance. Most Brit drivers are too lazy and bone idle to flood anywhere with anything. They’d rather complain on Facebook than make a positive change and chase an opportunity to better their circumstances.

Both drivers in question were well-heeled, and strike-breakers to get to that point as well, so I would have to disagree with your assessment of the more “general” UK worker’s market there. :unamused:

One runs his own tanker firm as an owner driver, whilst the other works for a logging facility last time I heard, Calgary area. I’m banned from FB, so I have now lost touch with any updates from those I knew that have now moved overseas alas…

Winseer:

The likes of Agritel and Bison visit the Canadian embassy in London each year around the 12th November to host talks and interviews with interested drivers. After London, they visit countries in Europe looking to recruit.

From memory our EE friends, with settled/residence status in an EU country like Germany, can then get work in Canada simply enough providing they meet the same requirements.

I find it hard to believe Canada is flooded with British migrant workers - Most are too doom and gloom and think the plane wouldn’t make it :laughing:

It’s not hard at all, just a bit more time consuming than it was.

There are nothing like the numbers coming from UK as there were 10 years ago, but in the maritimes there are still plenty of Dutch and Germans moving over.

There are some companies that will hold your hand through the immigration process and get you through the test in return for a years contract if you’re the right fit for them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

the paperwork side o things is more or less the same…the new training laws mean that at least now drivers will know the rules of the road.elogs etc instead o just passing as used to be. NOW my boss would love to get half a dozen uk drivers but has been "bitten’ in the past by workers from abroad they brought over especially a group o French drivers who barel
y waited for the ink to dry on their licences before buggering of to Quebec. Rural Canada isn’t for everyone as well but not all firms are away for weeks on end into the usa .grain company ones like I work for its mon-frid,get your 2rounds done and load for following week

JIMBO47:
the paperwork side o things is more or less the same…the new training laws mean that at least now drivers will know the rules of the road.elogs etc instead o just passing as used to be. NOW my boss would love to get half a dozen uk drivers but has been "bitten’ in the past by workers from abroad they brought over especially a group o French drivers who barel
y waited for the ink to dry on their licences before buggering of to Quebec. Rural Canada isn’t for everyone as well but not all firms are away for weeks on end into the usa .grain company ones like I work for its mon-frid,get your 2rounds done and load for following week

If you look at some of the questions on the main forum they could do with changing the training here too
Its like the blind leading the blind

Another big reason is probably something to do with a major accident last April,where a super b collided with a coach full with a hockey team in humbolt Saskatchewan,killing some of them,and the truck driver was a foreign driver.

Cracker04:
Another big reason is probably something to do with a major accident last April,where a super b collided with a coach full with a hockey team in humbolt Saskatchewan,killing some of them,and the truck driver was a foreign driver.

April 6th 2018 was the Humboldt Broncos crash , sadly 16 perished and many more suffered life changing injuries , the assistant team coach Mark Cross was from my village and died at the scene . The new test requirements do stem from that tragic accident , and not before time . Driving standards are way below par , especially with our East Indian cousins who have flooded here in recent years . Nothing to stop UK drivers coming here , the costs have increased and LMIAs are few and far between but it’s still possible for those determined enough .