Eu referendum whats your vote

dexxy57:

Franglais:
Didnt the expenses scandals etc give you pause for thought about our MPs before this Brexit stuff? Buzzer and yourself are right that everything is writ large with Brexit, but it was hardly all plain sailing in the past was it? You do raise a very valid point of course: do we (should we?) vote in elections for an individual, or for a party? If the latter, shouldnt we have a proportional representative system?

These things did give me pause for thought, although to be honest, I didn’t have to pause for very long. The expenses scandal seemed to be just another example of the complacent insular bubble that was Westminster at the time.
My MP’s over the years, (I’ve lived for the most part in two areas of the UK) have been very loyal to their party and very, very bland, strictly following the orders of the whip.

Should we replace FPTP? Should we vote for a party instead of an individual? It’s a no-brainer really, isn’t it?
When’s that going to happen though? It’s not in the interests of the two main parties. Debate closed.

There’s going to be a general election sooner rather than later. The whole result is going to hinge on about a dozen, maybe twenty, marginal seats.
A bit disgraceful really, but that’s our system for you.

It’s so much better to tie ourselves to a system in which elected MEP’s have no rights to initiate legislation.While even the rubber stamping exercise which is all the powers they have is decided by a foreign 90% + vote which we have no electoral control over.

As opposed to a Confederal system which gives the National MEP groups Supremacy and the individual,independent,right of opt out and substitution.