pre 1997 C1

Just read the quote below in the ‘LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 03/10/2016] (Read only)’ post

“If you already have pre 1997 C1 on your licence then you will only need modules 1 & 3 to obtain a C.”

Is this still the case? Ive been seeing stuff online about deadlines for CPC grandfather rights expiring and wondered if this was included.

Thanks

Stringer:
Just read the quote below in the ‘LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 03/10/2016] (Read only)’ post

“If you already have pre 1997 C1 on your licence then you will only need modules 1 & 3 to obtain a C.”

Is this still the case? Ive been seeing stuff online about deadlines for CPC grandfather rights expiring and wondered if this was included.

MODs 2 and 4 are the DCPC modules, you can get a cat C licence without doing them but realistically you won’t be able to drive HGVs commercially.

If you have a pre 1997 car licence with cat C1 entitlement you can choose between doing MODs 2 and 4 or doing 35 hours of periodic training to get a DQC.

Sent from my mobile.

Stringer:

Thanks

THAT WAS CORRECT WHEN IT WAS POSTED AS THOSE DRIVERS HAD DRIVER CPC GRANDFATHER RIGHTS AT THAT TIME

TIME TO EDIT THAT POST ME THINKS :bulb:

ROG:

Stringer:

Thanks

THAT WAS CORRECT WHEN IT WAS POSTED AS THOSE DRIVERS HAD DRIVER CPC GRANDFATHER RIGHTS AT THAT TIME

TIME TO EDIT THAT POST ME THINKS :bulb:

Time to turn off the CAPs to :stuck_out_tongue:

tachograph:
Time to turn off the CAPs to :stuck_out_tongue:

I KNOW …OOps … I know :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

tachograph:
If you have a pre 1997 car licence with cat C entitlement you can choose between doing MODs 2 and 4 or doing 35 hours of periodic training to get a DQC.

Er - Cat C1, surely…?

Roymondo:

tachograph:
If you have a pre 1997 car licence with cat C entitlement you can choose between doing MODs 2 and 4 or doing 35 hours of periodic training to get a DQC.

Er - Cat C1, surely…?

Yes that should read Cat C1, I’ll edit the typo.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my mobile.

If you already have pre 1997 C1 on your licence then you will need modules 1 & 3 as well as 35 hours of periodic driver cpc hours to obtain a C.

Thanks for the replies all and updated info on ‘Training Tips’ post.
It’s all a bit academic at the moment to be honest as still waiting for provisional to come back after sending my (complicated) D4 & D2 to DVLA, but trying to figure out what’ll be required if it comes back favourably.

Realistically I dont think I’ll be driving professionally as I currently run a business and am 53 years old. I am more looking at driving a horsebox for my daughter.

So question is, can I do 1 + 3 and drive the horse box (not for reward)? Then then if I wanted to drive commercially do I have to do the 35hrs right away or do I have 5 years to do it?

Stringer:
So question is, can I do 1 + 3 and drive the horse box (not for reward)? Then then if I wanted to drive commercially do I have to do the 35hrs right away or do I have 5 years to do it?

35 hours can be done at anytime you like - now or in 20 years time

What size horsebox is it - LGV C1 or C :question:
If LGV C then you will be under full eu regs so if say working mon to fri in a non driving job then you can only drive the LGV C for one day every other weekend due to weekly rest laws

Thanks again. Potential C1 or C. If my licence comes back favourably i’ll have my C1 entitlement (HGV medical was required to have it reinstated) back anyway and have requested C provisional with the intention of doing the training and test, just because I’d paid for the medical anyway. Have also asked for cat D as I held this for 10yrs in 80’s and 90’s but never renewed as had started the business.

So are you sayin the 35 hours would be compulsory before driving commercially but could drive a horsebox indefinitely?

Stringer:
So are you sayin the 35 hours would be compulsory before driving commercially but could drive a horsebox indefinitely?

Yes because it is a private not commercial horsebox so no cpc needed for that

Is it a C or C1 horsebox :question:

Not purchased lorry yet so options open. Maybe driving a friends c1 initially. If the 35 hours are compulsory before commercial driving would it be better to just do Modules 2 & 4 to get them out of the way?

Stringer:
Not purchased lorry yet so options open. Maybe driving a friends c1 initially. If the 35 hours are compulsory before commercial driving would it be better to just do Modules 2 & 4 to get them out of the way?

You have a choice for commercial LGV driving cpc - either mods 2+4 TESTS (pass/fail) OR 35 hours of periodic training (no tests just attend)

LGV C1 private lorries are exempt from EU regs which is why they are the preferred choice for those using private horseboxes

Thanks again.