UK to Austria - overnight parking

Chaps, I’m planning a run to Graz, emulating a run I did many times s a kid during the late 80’s & early 90’s with my dad to the paper mill - only this time it’s me in VW Transporter, not riding shotgun in an F reg Daf 95!

Is it safe to use German motorway service area’s for the couple of nights I’ll be away? Or would you suggest any alternatives? Open to any useful advice.

A nostalgic bucket-list thing for me. Not expecting much of what was there then, to still be there. Already discovered there is no such thing as a Dover-Zeebrugge crossing any more…

Thanks in advance, Chris.

No where in this world is 100% crime free, but I feel as safe as anywhere when in Germany.
Use the “Truckfly” app to find autohofs just off the autobahns, or Routiers restaurants. Some old ones have closed down, but many remain.
Hope you have a good trip!

You can still do Hull Zeeby or Tilbury Zeeby though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks both.
I’ve got a hankering to go to the Total fuel station just out if Zeebruuge where we would fuel up & I’d be lucky enough to chose an Iteleri model kit to pick up on the way back. The cocktail of brewed coffee, foreign flags & diesel was intoxicating for a 12 year old lad full of adventure.

I’m Stafford based so I think it would make more sense to use Dover & head up to Z before making the pilgrimage to Aachen.

Many thanks again fellas.

You may get a shock in Zeebrugge, it’s err, different [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go on…

German motorway services are fine mate , but there is no legal requirement to exit the motorway and park up in a village or town , excellent food and fine company to be found off route .
The Germans do have a great sense of humour and will take the Mickey out of ex UK Prime Ministers , just do not mention the war .
Then you have the beer glasses that hold about five pints of beer in one glass .
The truck stops have a policy where you pay to park and get a discount off the meal .And most have a barrier system or a security man .
Motorway areas , carry small change to pay the Hilda Ogden on steroids for toilet stops , the loo receipt gives you money off to spend in the cafe for a coffee or snack .
Hilda will clean the toilet area, and some loos are automatic, where a machine cleans the toilet rim and seat with chemicals .

I’m with Franglais and Toby here, get off the Autobahn and find other places to stay, not really for any particular security reasons, just loads of better places to eat and nicer sights to see.

Many thanks for these chaps, certainly of use.

In Germany look for the Autohof sign, usually about a K and a half before the junction.
There will also be a small autohof direction sign on the direction signn at the end of the slip road.
Most of them are just off the autobahn, some are a few km away.
They’re a step up over motorway services. Expect table service, but not all have it.

What is your planned route?

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the info. That sounds much better than any services, for food anyway.
Plan being Dover - Calais overseas, Zeebruuge, Aachen, (possibly via Geiselwind) Bad Reichenhall, Frohnleiten. On the way back I’ll make it up as I go. This is a nostalgic run rather than the quickest way point to point I might add.

Slater & Son:
Hi Simon,
Thanks for the info. That sounds much better than any services, for food anyway.
Plan being Dover - Calais overseas, Zeebruuge, Aachen, (possibly via Geiselwind) Bad Reichenhall, Frohnleiten. On the way back I’ll make it up as I go. This is a nostalgic run rather than the quickest way point to point I might add.

Hi S&S,

You might consider the little Shell garage in Deggendorf. (Not sure if it’s still there though!)

I used to do trailer swaps there and then double back into Austria, so Deggendorf was handy for the inevitable hanging around when things didn’t quite go according to plan.

It is conveniently near to a nostalgic choice of border crossing because you’d not be far from Suben and Schärding.

If you have time once you’re at Graz, I remember that there was an impressive ‘proper’ old steam locomotive just in front of the railway station.

As an alternative, IIRC, some of the lads used to use a place at Hengersberg too.

:bulb: There’s a caveat with the above though, … my very nostalgic info is all also from the 80’s. :smiley:

Down load the search for sites app it’s £5 per yr with free sites pubs campsites ect .

dieseldave:

Slater & Son:
Hi Simon,

Hi S&S,

You might consider the little Shell garage in Deggendorf. (Not sure if it’s still there though!)

I used to do trailer swaps there and then double back into Austria, so Deggendorf was handy for the inevitable hanging around when things didn’t quite go according to plan.

It is conveniently near to a nostalgic choice of border crossing because you’d not be far from Suben and Schärding.

If you have time once you’re at Graz, I remember that there was an impressive ‘proper’ old steam locomotive just in front of the railway station.

As an alternative, IIRC, some of the lads used to use a place at Hengersberg too.

:bulb: There’s a caveat with the above though, … my very nostalgic info is all also from the 80’s. :smiley:

Hiya, if you’re running in a van, do you intend to sleep in it or are you opting for a hotel?

On your way down (depending on the route your taking A3 or A6) you can use autohof Geiselwind, there’s a hotel opposite the truckstop. If you’re coming down on the A6 I would recommend Mittelstetten, I’m not sure about the official name of the place, but the locals and long time visitors call it “Mutti” (nan). Lovely place with good food and a very pleasant atmosphere.

If you’re able to get any further, or if you’re on your way back home again, Passau might be an option, search for a B&B hotel, restaurant is 500 yards further down the road.

I’m not sure if that Shell garage is still there in Deggendorf DD, it’s been a while since I left the autobahn to tip in Deggendorf…

Aah… Hengersberg! Spent quite some time there, although last time I was in is a good 8 years ago. Place had been renovated, looked quite posh … the old garage opposite the Esso truckstop has renewed his parking, you get a proper view when you drive past it.

Just over the border at Suben is another Shell truckstop with a hotel on the premises and there used to be a Shell somewhere in the middle between Suben and Graz, can’t remember exactly where it was though… hopefully this is of any help and not too late… :blush:

Cheers, Patrick

Geiselwind is still going strong.

I think the truckstop just before the German border is still there, the one of the imfamous fire.

To get to Geiselwind from Aachen, I’d go across to the A61, South to Koblenz, across to the A3, South to Limburg.
Then across to Giesen on the B49 (I think it is) and down the A45 to rejoin the A3 to the East of Frankfurt.
You’ll still go down The Black Cat, although that sign is long gone, but you’ll miss the worst of the traffic jams at Koln and Frankfurt
There’s a nice little truckstop in Kleinostheim just off the B8. The next autohof is at j66, then there’s nothing until Biebelried. Then there are half a dozen, one every other junction almost, Gieselwind is j76. It’s huge now. Got a church, motel, several fuel sites, McDs, Burgler King and the olde stylee Toni’s resto that does proper German cooking and a few other options as well. There’s even a ■■■ shop, although I don’t think it sells ■■■ :laughing: