Trailer plate

^^^ Yup.

Ignore anyone who speaks to you or any other distraction during (un)coupling procedures, don’t need to be nasty just ask them to give you two mins whilst you do the biz, any proper lorry driver will understand and not take it personally.

You do not have to follow the same routine as everyone else, but the stated routines are pretty good overall but we all add our own little twists* on the theme as we go along.
What tends to throw you is if you change tractors and the catwalk steps are on a different side to which you are used, this doesn’t happen very often as almost all i use are on the nearside now, but think doubly carefully if you do find a unit with the steps on the offside because it disrupts your routine, which is when things go ■■■■ up.

If you do get interrupted, start again from the dog clip and always work your way around the vehicle in the same direction every time.

The one really important thing that gets overlooked after hitching up and before you drive away (i always do this before even putting the dog clip on*, whilst i’m down there anyway as it were :smiling_imp: ), is to shine a torch up the 5th wheel’s bum and check that bar is sitting across the kin pin, and not as can very rarely happen sitting on it.
Yes this happened to me just the once in over 40 years of artics, fortunately summat didn’t sound right when i connected up and checked underneath and saw with mine own eyes, sure enough there was the king pin large as life sitting on top of the closed jaws, dog clip engaged everything :open_mouth:
If you’re not too sure what you are looking for, make a habit of checking regularly and the once in a lifetime event of it not being in place will be visually shouting out loud.