Did you ever question whether you could do it?

TruckerWannabe123:
I hope to start my HGV training next year as by then I would have had my driving licence for 1 year, the more videos I watch of truckers, the more I think “There’s no way I could drive that thing” and it’s making me doubt wanting to become a HGV driver.

I know it’s a bit silly as I’ve not even started learning yet and it might not be as difficult as it looks but for those of you who are HGV drivers, did you ever at any point question whether you could actually do it? Not just pass the test but actually drove on the open roads unaccompanied, driving all over the UK on roundabouts and motorways and little narrow streets you’ve never been down before?

I think it’s because I’ve just passed my driving test and I’m trying to imagine driving a big rig with my extremely limited driving experience so that’s why I’m doubting myself? Do you think in a year I’ll be confident enough driving normally that my attitude about driving larger vehicles will change :confused:

I have to say I really really enjoyed my training as its so different to my usual line of work. I found the class 2 relatively easy but have to admit my arse took a nip out of the drivers seat the first time I drove an artic! It took me 2 goes to pass the class 1 but by the end of the first few days training they get you up to a decent standard. Fast learning curve!!