Did you ever question whether you could do it?

I hope to start my HGV training next year as by then I would have had my driving licence for 1 year, the more videos I watch of truckers, the more I think “There’s no way I could drive that thing” and it’s making me doubt wanting to become a HGV driver.

I know it’s a bit silly as I’ve not even started learning yet and it might not be as difficult as it looks but for those of you who are HGV drivers, did you ever at any point question whether you could actually do it? Not just pass the test but actually drove on the open roads unaccompanied, driving all over the UK on roundabouts and motorways and little narrow streets you’ve never been down before?

I think it’s because I’ve just passed my driving test and I’m trying to imagine driving a big rig with my extremely limited driving experience so that’s why I’m doubting myself? Do you think in a year I’ll be confident enough driving normally that my attitude about driving larger vehicles will change :confused:

Haha that’s actually a good question , your gonna have loads of doubts about ability to drive a wagon till you actually do it . I didn’t think I could what I do on a daily basis in the beginning now I spend 99% of my day up and down tight streets between double parked cars going to places I have never been and having to make snap judgements on how’s best to get in and out of some of the most stupid goods in yards in old mills and down back streets that you’ve ever seen .

My round takes me in and out of industrial estates , residential properties and town centres with the worst traffic conditions on a daily basis and all I will say is it just clicks into place when you’ve been doing it for a couple of weeks .
The nerves and self doubt you might feel when you start out fade as your experiences grow . Some of my proudest bits are when I have got myself out of some of the stupidest spots I have been in

Touch wood so far 6 months in and not smashed anything up yet lol :smiley:

Currently putting myself through C+E training and have the same doubts about learning that as you probably have about doing class 2

Gaz

Driving a wagon will seem daunting because you’re still getting to grips with driving a car. You will be surprised how quickly you will gain confidence and experience in a car, which hopefully you will then be able to help you get your HGV licence.

Learning to drive a wagon is just as daunting as learning to drive a car, some would say it’s even worse due to the cost involved.

Look for jobs that can help give you an edge. For example, being a drivers mate will let you get used to being on the road in a wagon even if it is from the passengers seat, or warehouse work were you might be able to do a bit of shunting wagons around the yard.

Just be patient, get plenty of experience, and save as much money as you can, as chances are you won’t pass all of your tests first time! (As I’ve said before, took me 6 attempts to pass my class 2!!) And remember if you do fail, that’s not the end. Just learn from your mistakes and try again.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TruckerWannabe123:
I hope to start my HGV training next year as by then I would have had my driving licence for 1 year, the more videos I watch of truckers, the more I think “There’s no way I could drive that thing” and it’s making me doubt wanting to become a HGV driver.

I know it’s a bit silly as I’ve not even started learning yet and it might not be as difficult as it looks but for those of you who are HGV drivers, did you ever at any point question whether you could actually do it? Not just pass the test but actually drove on the open roads unaccompanied, driving all over the UK on roundabouts and motorways and little narrow streets you’ve never been down before?

I think it’s because I’ve just passed my driving test and I’m trying to imagine driving a big rig with my extremely limited driving experience so that’s why I’m doubting myself? Do you think in a year I’ll be confident enough driving normally that my attitude about driving larger vehicles will change :confused:

I have to say I really really enjoyed my training as its so different to my usual line of work. I found the class 2 relatively easy but have to admit my arse took a nip out of the drivers seat the first time I drove an artic! It took me 2 goes to pass the class 1 but by the end of the first few days training they get you up to a decent standard. Fast learning curve!!

Having a period of car driving experience is obviously a good thing. But I am of the older generation of instructors who used to train non drivers on artics. The first lesson used to include the statement “down there there’s 3 pedals”. That’s how basic it was.
But 14 days later I regularly used to produce a Class 1 driver who, by default, would also get a car licence into the bargain.

At that time we used to display 2 different types of L plate. One was a large special HGV L plate and the other was a conventional L plate. This denoted the fact that the learner was learning “car” at the same time as learning truck.

I’m not saying this was a wonderful situation. Just making the point that car experience isn’t always the be all and end all.

Good luck all,

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

6 months? You’ll (almost) be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Couple of years you’ll be wondering why you bothered…
You’ll be fine[emoji5]

1 Like

Franglais:
6 months? You’ll (almost) be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Couple of years you’ll be wondering why you bothered…
You’ll be fine[emoji5]

Only a couple of years with some of the Darwin award drivers about

I think it’s more a case of just getting in a wagon & doing it.

The chances are at some point you’ll get stuck or you’ll make a fool of yourself or you’ll take 8 shunts to get to where you need to be. It’s how you handle it that’ll make the difference. It’s like getting up after falling off your bike.

Think the most important ‘niche’ answer is to take your time. The first time i sat in a wagon i was in complete Awe of the sheer size of it. It feels like your driving a big monsterous rock lol.

I saw on one video Scott Andrews took about 4/5 shunts to get in a builders yard, held traffic up for 10 minutes or so… he just got on with it… That’s how it goes i guess…

1 Like

Dee Dee 2012:
I saw on one video Scott Andrews took about 4/5 shunts to get in a builders yard, held traffic up for 10 minutes or so… he just got on with it… That’s how it goes i guess…

Speaking of holding up traffic, how would you indicate to traffic that you wish to turn in somewhere? Take this entrance for example i.gyazo.com/0cf3e53a70242c1bdbf … 193615.jpg, just picked a random entrance to demonstrate.

So you’re driving forward and want to reverse bay park in the parking area on the left (pretend it’s a construction zone or something). To get in there with a C1 I think you’d have to drive past the entrance and then come back in at a 90 degree angle but if there’s cars behind you they’re going to have to reverse back, what if there’s 3 or 4 cars?

I’ve even had problems in a car when I want to reverse parallel park I can’t because the car behind me is literally 5ft from me and isn’t giving me room to reverse… Pretty ■■■■ annoying.

edit I made a quick drawing on where I think you’d have to stop in order to reverse back into the gap i.gyazo.com/9607be955622cb4e397 … 32b3ff.jpg and the car(s) behind you will have seen you drive past that entrance and so now will probably be occupying the area you need in order to reverse, if that makes sense?

Best thing to do is slow down well before the entry you want to reverse in to and stick your hazards on, lets people behind you know you’re going to either stop or reverse. Most people normally leave a decent gap then, although you still get the odd ■■■■■■■■ who will try and dart past. Even they soon stop when they realise they can’t fit past, saves damaging their precious beemer/audi

CookieMonster:
Best thing to do is slow down well before the entry you want to reverse in to and stick your hazards on, lets people behind you know you’re going to either stop or reverse. Most people normally leave a decent gap then, although you still get the odd [zb] who will try and dart past. Even they soon stop when they realise they can’t fit past, saves damaging their precious beemer/audi

+1

Main thing is don’t let it get to you. We all make mistakes regardless of how good some on here protest to be.
Don’t over think things.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

One other thing worth mentioning. In the example you’ve given, you’re going to be doing a blindside reverse. Not too much of a problem in a rigid as you can still see all four corners of your vehicle in your mirrors. In an artic however, all you will see in your passenger side mirror would be your own trailer. This means if any car or pedestrian decides to go behind you, you won’t know anything about it until it’s too late.
It’s fine to do a blindside reverse if you’re backing on to a loading bay at an rdc, or parking space in a services or yard, but if you’re on a public road, or anywhere else you can encounter the idiots within the general public, then avoid blindside reversing unless you have someone to watch you back.

CookieMonster:
One other thing worth mentioning. In the example you’ve given, you’re going to be doing a blindside reverse. Not too much of a problem in a rigid as you can still see all four corners of your vehicle in your mirrors. In an artic however, all you will see in your passenger side mirror would be your own trailer. This means if any car or pedestrian decides to go behind you, you won’t know anything about it until it’s too late.
It’s fine to do a blindside reverse if you’re backing on to a loading bay at an rdc, or parking space in a services or yard, but if you’re on a public road, or anywhere else you can encounter the idiots within the general public, then avoid blindside reversing unless you have someone to watch you back.

So when faced with a situation where you have to blindside, I’m guessing it’s better to carry on driving and turn around somewhere so you’re reversing in on the other side.

TruckerWannabe123:

CookieMonster:

So when faced with a situation where you have to blindside, I’m guessing it’s better to carry on driving and turn around somewhere so you’re reversing in on the other side.

That’s what I always do. I’m sure there will be a few people on here who say they would do blindside reverses all the time, but I don’t see the point in taking that risk

TruckerWannabe123:
So you’re driving forward and want to reverse bay park in the parking area on the left (pretend it’s a construction zone or something). To get in there with a C1 I think you’d have to drive past the entrance and then come back in at a 90 degree angle but if there’s cars behind you they’re going to have to reverse back, what if there’s 3 or 4 cars?

Do you mean a LGV CE (artic or W&D) or do you mean a LGV C1 (7.5 tonner) :question: :question:

ROG:

TruckerWannabe123:

Do you mean a LGV CE (artic or W&D) or do you mean a LGV C1 (7.5 tonner) :question: :question:

Sorry I mean Class 1 (C+E)

It would probably be less daunting if you can go gradually up to class 1. A bit of experience in a 3.5 ton van to start and go from there.
I did it that way. By time I got to a 5 axle mixer, the jump from an 26 tonner was comparable to when I went from a fiat Cinquecento to LWB transit