Agencies vs job job advertisement websites

TruckerWannabe123:
Are websites like Reed, Totaljobs, Indeed etc considered agencies? So when people say “I’ll get agency work”, are they referring to applying for jobs on these websites?

If not then can someone give me an example of an agency, are they typically smaller local recruitment firms? When you enquire about a job they have or if they call you, do you have an interview with the agency or with the company the agency is using?

Would you mind giving a brief example of the recruitment process of an agency?

Hi @TruckerWannabe123.
I’ve been working for agencies, now and previously for many years. Agencies used to be an alternative to traditional full-time jobs, but they’ve sprung up like mushrooms and are now the go to places for work. To be honest, they’re about the lowest form of employment you’ll get. The ‘consultants’ you’ll meet are salesmen/women who earn commission every time you do a shift and they couldn’t care less whether the work suits you or not.

The application process is usually quite simple. You’ll generally be required to register with the agency in person and complete a few tests on the WTD and regulations. They’ll then either offer you a job on the spot, or phone you with one. It may or may not be what you wanted and almost always, will be a job that advertises constantly for drivers because no one will stay with them for long. In time you’ll see the same job advertised under various agencies as ‘wonderful opportunities’ and ‘fantastic rates’, but they never are. From ongoing work that turns out holiday relief to trunking that turns out to be multi-drop and onto cancellations, you’ll get many surprises.

I explain agencies and wrote of my experiences here. The HGV Agency Fandango - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Do yourself a favour and collect a google list of all the distribution companies in your area. Send an email to their HR departments and try to get a permanent position. Don’t use agencies unless you’re desperate. Honestly, you will save yourself a lot of stress and disappointments.

John