Agencies vs job job advertisement websites

TruckerWannabe123:
Thanks! Just the kind of answer I was looking for. When you say you replied to an agency job advert on indeed, how do you differentiate between an agency advert and a company one? Also when applying to agency work do you have to send in your CV, list your references, interview with a suit etc or is it much more casual?

I tend to find a company job advert on Indeed uses the company logo and agencies use their own logo. The “posted by” thumbnail.
Also you’ll soon recognise most agency names posting on Indeed. E.g. Backline, Driver Hire, Pertemps, The Best Connection and so on.

I send the same CV to everyone. It’s a standard Word Doc about 2 pages of info. Agencies will ask for references, just names and contact details.
They might not actually contact them but their forms will ask for minimum of 2.

Registration with an agency is clean jeans and t-shirt if you want. Company interviews are trousers and shirt.
Be prepared to be asked by agency what you want to do. We all want to drive a truck but it helps to know what you’d like to try.

In my case I said I wanted ADR work, preferably rigid tanker. Also your preferred hours, days of week etc. This also applies to direct company speculative emails.

I emailed a company this week, simply after driving by one of their trucks. I’d forgotten about them and seeing the truck reminded me; got my 2nd interview with them next week.

A lack of driving experience isn’t an issue if you can show other valuable skills via a CV, your attitude when talking to agencies and potential employers.
It takes about 1 to 1.5 hours to register with an agency in person as they’ll want you to fill in a fair few forms and as I said, discuss your career options.

Pay is around £10.75 to £11 ph for Class 2 newbie in my area.
I turned down a firm job offer that wanted to start me on £8.70 an hour. I was earning that back in 1990!

Be sensible, you won’t be offered £15 ph but if like me you have 30 years experience in safety critical occupations, £8.70 ph is taking the mickey and in certain UK locations, it’s a (professional) drivers market. Don’t feel you have to take the first job an agency offers.