Agencies vs job job advertisement websites

Hello,

I am new to the haulage industry having been employed for over 20+ years as a mechanical engineer and then self employed for the last 9 years in online marketing.

If it’s of any help, here’s my current experience of agencies and job boards. So I passed my Class 2 recently (August 2019) and at the same time added to my current skills (engineering, IT, customer service etc) by completing and passing my ADR including tanks certificate, also August 2019.

I am currently half way through my first fortnight of ADR work as a direct result of replying to an agency advert on a job website (Indeed). Within 2 days of applying via Indeed the agency asked to meet me to register my details, including the standard multi-choice questions on traffic law, driver’s hours etc. Like a mini DVSA theory test. No issues.

I was told the type of work and vehicle class (as it can be C1 or C) and the starting hours and the company I would be working for. All very transparent. I was advised of any PPE I needed and that was that.

Upon arrival at the company I was a) expected and b) treated very well as a newbie to the industry. I was assigned to an experienced driver who took time to teach me the inner secrets of tacho manual entries etc.

I also registered with another agency direct (not via a job board advert) who have ADR work for me in October for the winter months. At the same time I have been applying for jobs direct with company websites; a case of finding a recruitment or general contact email address and sending my latest CV and cover letter. I have had a couple of interviews via that approach too.

So my opinion would be to apply for jobs direct via a company’s website, as well as registering with a couple of the big agencies and of course applying via Indeed, TotalJobs etc with a well written CV. If you are lacking skills that might be in demand (in my case not so many people around here have ADR - as you know it’s not cheap to fund LGV training, ADR, CPC etc) then perhaps consider some training to make your CV shine above the rest.

As a newly qualified LGV driver I am already seeing offers of long term temp to permanent work via agencies and direct via speculative emails to potential employers.

Good luck :slight_smile: