Merc with no mirrors

Rowley010:
If 13% is ANYWHERE NEAR true then scania and Volvo will very shortly be taking off traditional mirrors from there’s. Unless Mercedes have managed to patent it first of course.

I can appreciate the other points for tight space manoeuvre and if it does give better near side vision compared to mirrors that’s of course a good thing.

But still the point being that if something goes wrong the truck is parked up until Mercedes come out and sort it. With normal mirrors if they got cracked as long as you can still see enough you can drive it to a place of repair. I image that if those cameras get struck it’s game over.

These are fair questions Rowley and though I have never seen it I understand these camera struts are smaller, cheaper and less venerable than standard mirror arms and so are less likely to get smashed.

A cracked mirror is a bit of a PIA but a smashed glass is a show stopper really.

This is the 1st generation of this technology and the next version will be much improved I’m sure.

In a few years time you and others will be considered old timers cos you will be on here saying you can remember using real mirrors for manoeuvring.

I remember when I thought parking sensors on cars were an unnecessary expensive gimmick.
Now I’d be slow to buy a car without them as I am so used to them. In fact my current car has a reversing camera which is totally unnecessary but in time I’m sure I will not go without it either.