Reflecting on my first week as a HGV driver

Hayley293:
Hi guys

I have been documenting my progress of becoming a HGV driver step-by-step since April this year. I have been filming videos and uploading them on YouTube with a hope of helping and encouraging wannabe drivers.

Last week was my first week as a HGV driver since passing at the beginning of August. If you’d like to have a look at what my thoughts were at the end of my first week, I have attached the link.

This is coming from an ex-teacher and someone who is completely new and had no idea what-so-ever!

https://youtu.be/dMRBOCjZMZA

Hayley

I passed my normal car driving test last week and driving on the open road, parking in parking lots and motorway driving is so much more daunting when I don’t have the security of the instructor by my side. I can only imagine the anxiety when you pass your truck driving test after maybe 5 days? of lessons and suddenly you’re by yourself on the open road.
What a daunting prospect, getting stuck round a bend, clipping a car when turning or reversing, smacking into a bridge or taking a wrong turn which isn’t suitable for a truck so you have to reverse all the way back out with cars behind you beeping and stuff. I’d probably die from the stress :laughing:

Seriously though, how nervous were you when you took the truck out on your first day alone? Did you have all these crazy things running through your you head? If this, if that, what if that happens etc etc?