Trip to Milan

Hi folks, I’ve got to take a Discovery pulling a car trailer to Milan from London. 2 questions:

What route would you use avoiding Swiss and the Blanc?

This is a delivery job for a friend who runs a workshop, should the Disco have a tacho and O licence? The car isn’t broken down, its been sold.

TIA

Hi Misterbreeze
You could go down via Austria, over the Brenner or down through France and in to Italy via Ventemiglia, or through Frejus.
GS

Over 3.5ton in commercial use equals tacho needed, I think. Exempt if it’s all your own gear, but that doesn’t apply here.
Why avoid the Blanc?
Anyway Frejus is ok. Ventimigllia is a long way round. Over Mt Cenis will be a reasonable route if not mid winter.

Straight down thru swiss and the gotthard tunnel… the swiss will want to have a look at the paperwork etc and the motor if its nice, but as long as you have all the vehicles docs and you get road tax for disco and trailer (50 swiss francs ish each it used to be) then all should be hunky dorey…

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If the car is driveable,would it not be easier just to drive it there and make your own way back?
I’ve returned from Milan by train a few times.

Thanks for the ideas. I can’t drive the car as it’s brand new & unregistered (and expensive!!! The proud new owner won’t be impressed if it turns up with a thousand miles on the clock).
I’ve used Mt Cenis a lot but not for a few years so wasn’t sure if it’s still viable these days. Blanc is the easy option, but just trying to save a few quid if there’s a better way of doing it, time isn’t an issue.
I’m guessing my contact won’t want to go to the expense of fitting a tacho in his nice new Discovery (and getting an O licence) so it might not happen anyway, or he might just use someone who doesn’t know any better :unamused:

Misterbreeze:
Thanks for the ideas. I can’t drive the car as it’s brand new & unregistered (and expensive!!! The proud new owner won’t be impressed if it turns up with a thousand miles on the clock).
I’ve used Mt Cenis a lot but not for a few years so wasn’t sure if it’s still viable these days. Blanc is the easy option, but just trying to save a few quid if there’s a better way of doing it, time isn’t an issue.
I’m guessing my contact won’t want to go to the expense of fitting a tacho in his nice new Discovery (and getting an O licence) so it might not happen anyway, or he might just use someone who doesn’t know any better :unamused:

Just get reg docs for shiney Disco and nice new car both in your own name…no worries!
[emoji5]

PS. Cenis has a 19t (played weight) limit on it. Apart from that I think it’s ok.