Reviews on job sites

Been looking about for a new job and looking at sites like indeed. Whenever I get to the reviews of the company, they are overwhelmingly negative. Are these reviews just left by disgruntled ex employees because there doesnt seem to be a decent employer in the land!

Nite Owl:
Been looking about for a new job and looking at sites like indeed. Whenever I get to the reviews of the company, they are overwhelmingly negative. Are these reviews just left by disgruntled ex employees because there doesnt seem to be a decent employer in the land!

I’ve noticed that too, I think the majority only feel the need to write a review when they are ■■■■■■ off with something about the company or their experience, the majority of positive reviews seem to be from people who have been asked to leave one or managers etc trying to boost the rating, just my observation anyway and in no way a legal standpoint [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never go off online reviews for anything.
People are quick at bad mouthing a place
. Yet not so quick at giving praise.
Last year was out with my misses thought we’d go for a nice meal. She got her phone every place she was like no this has a bad reviewed online no this has bad review.
Story short we ened up in one as was late. And my misses went that was the nicest meal had in a long time. Yet it had a lot of bad reviews.

I do leave reviews and choose places by reading them, if I read 10 reviews and 4 are negative it doesn’t put us off, you normally find the ones who leave bad reviews can’t spell or string a sentence together. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nite Owl:

If you get and stay in a job, you never go back to the job site to say something positive.

If you leave a job (possibly one found a short time earlier through the same job site), there is usually no explanation other than dissatisfaction with the former employer.

Another explanation is that it is the worst employers who advertise and recruit externally most frequently, so even if all employees left fair feedback (good and bad), you’d still see bad employers and bad reviews massively over-represented.

Indeed :wink: , you could well find a disproportionate number of bad reviews for the simple reason good employers don’t advertise anywhere, the turnover of staff being so small there’s always someone ready to step in those DMS anyway.

I left a bad review on there for my former employer and I stand by every word of it! :laughing:

Most people who leave reviews on there are in the process of searching for a new job. The sites encourage you to leave a review for your current employer before you get ‘unlimited’ access to the reviews of other companies you’re interested in working for. Most people when they are leaving a job have a reason (bad pay, bad manager, bad hours, build up of stress etc) and those issues are at the forefront of their mind at that point in time, so that is what comes out in the review. People forget about the good times when they’ve had enough and want out. Ask people for reviews 3 months in to a job and they’d probably be a bit more positive overall. Having said that, if all the reviews have something in common or the person writing the bad review comes across intelligent and knowledgeable and gives detail about what went wrong, then I will listen.