Advice for using laptop while tramping

Hey guys first time poster here :slight_smile: Passed my class 2 a year ago and been driving for palletforce up until 3 weeks ago where I’ve landed a much better paid job but this one now involves nights out Monday to Friday.

I’m perfectly fine with this although any advice you have for a someone new to the night out game would be gratefully received.

The main point of my post is 2 things. 1st I have a 24v 15A socket in my truck which I have bought an pure sine wave inverter for so I can use my laptop on it to game on the night. The inverter says it only draws 150 Watt from a cigarette lighter socket (dunno if this applies to truck aswell or just car) and 300 watt for anything else. My laptop charger uses 135 watt 7.2A so I should be ok right?

2nd question is I need to have decent WiFi so is there any recommendations for who to go with and what to get? Don’t wanna pay stupid money but the more data the better as it means I can watch films etc, too then. If it helps il be based down in maidenhead.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Giffgaff is good.
£25 for always on data which means it is unlimited upto 40gb then it drops to 384kbps from 8am to midnight which is still enough for gaming/streaming.
Also as it’s not a contract you cant be charged any extra you just buy it month to month they don’t tie you down.
Three may offer a better service (I think) but they tie you down to a contract.

Only other advice is with food buy in advance. Because MSA prices are completely crazy. I think if you have to buy in MSA’s go for Greggs or Mcdonalds as I THINK their prices are the same as their regular shops on the high street. (I may be wrong).

Is your inverter a 24v? just checking after you wrote 150 Watt from a cigarette lighter socket (dunno if this applies to truck aswell or just car) and 300 watt for anything else
24v socket, at 15amp will give 360watts, I wouldn’t want to be pulling a constant 15amp draw, it could be getting a bit warm! especially if its a cigarette lighter type, hella types have two type of plugs the ones for higher current rating have earth contacts all the way round the plug rather than one single one.

Another vote for giff gaff , it’s really O2 under another name . As others have said unless you can hard wire the inverter get it fitted with a Hella plug as anything else tends to overheat and cause problems. I used a small digital freeview TV in the UK and had downloaded programmes, documentaries or films on a samsung tablet for when abroad. I initially used to take a laptop but found that I was spending far too much time online instead of unwinding and falling asleep .
In the UK I avoided eating in MSAs because of the poor and very expensive food .
If you are self-catering you soon get pretty good at one pot cooking with a bit of planning and imagination.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Power is OK.

Before spending more money on wifi what is the data allowance on your mobile phone? I have unlimited data on mine and I can tether to my phone and use that as a wifi hotspot.

If you have Amazon Prime or Netflix you can download movies or episodes of series to watch offline. My lad will download a handful to his tablet on a weekend when he’s at home and watch them during the week which lowers the amount of data he needs.

I recently got a sim only deal with O2, £22 a month for 25gb of data and unlimited calls and messages, I have poor credit too and still got accepted, signal can be poor in places at times but it builds ur credit as it’s a contract. Giffgaff uses the O2 network and is quite good although you don’t get the support you would by going direct to O2.
I used to be on giffgaff though and can’t knock it, it’s simple to top up and you can just set your goodybag to a recurring payment so you don’t have to worry about manually topping up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Giffgaff but have now moved to a vodaphone SIM with 100gb for £20, the deal has moved to unlimited I think at a similar price. Although they are both reasonable I find vodaphone gives me better coverage while having both SIM in the phone.

For WiFi. Download Kali for Linux.
Install it on a memory stick.
Some programs on their will help you get free WiFi.[emoji12]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

David5l:

No they won’t and if you think they will it shows how little you know about how the tech works. All it’ll do is allow you to join hotspots which are free to use in the first place which anyone can do.

Conor:

David5l:

No they won’t and if you think they will it shows how little you know about how the tech works. All it’ll do is allow you to join hotspots which are free to use in the first place which anyone can do.

Suggest you read up on Kali. It’s an operating system in its own right, concentrating on penetration software.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I use netflix. Download movies or TV series at home and then watch them offline. Great deal for me.

About the inverter, very often it is unofficial the double, so a 150 is a 300.

Good luck with the new adventure :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :wink: and check the curtains every morning! Even if you paid for a safe place.

Ye don’t mess about with Kali. Mobile internet is cheap just hotspot from your phone.

Im on contract with three unlimited data, calls and texts which also includes unlimited streaming of netflix also get free roaming in EU all for £22 quid a month.

Hi… Vodafone and three network are about the best for data!! I have Vodafone £24 a month and get 100 gb of data and unlimited calls and texts!! And I think three is unlimited internet never slows down but a little more expensive… dont go with giffgaff as when you use the 40gb the connection is very poor films just buffer and downloads take a year!! :wink:

Youngscottishnewbie:
Hi… Vodafone and three network are about the best for data!! I have Vodafone £24 a month and get 100 gb of data and unlimited calls and texts!! And I think three is unlimited internet never slows down but a little more expensive… dont go with giffgaff as when you use the 40gb the connection is very poor films just buffer and downloads take a year!! :wink:

Never had that.
But I have seen people getting £100/300 phone bills from Vodaphone for going over their allowance. Impossible with giffgaff.
Also not tied down to a contract with giffgaff.