Expected salary for new passer?

TruckerWannabe123:

stuwozere1:
I passed Class 2 then Class 1 two months later. I worked in a supermarket and got chatting to the drivers with one of them doing a recommend a friend scheme for me. Luckily got in with no experience as they don’t take new passes per se.

I started on £36,500 a year basic and its easy work, time and half overtime and 12hr night premium. Drive from Yorkshire as far as Birmingham and Northampton, and as far north as Alnwick and Glasgow.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I can’t imagine earning that much straight away :open_mouth: but I guess it does happen. So when I’m looking online at vacancies they don’t typically list the hours but the salary instead like £13 per hour or £125 a day etc. Is it common to do 50+ hours a week like the poster above is doing? I’d happily do 50 - 60 hours a week.

Depends a bit where you are in the country as well.

Not o e of my drivers came from an advert, so I’d ask drivers you meet what their firms are like and if they sound good, ask about vacancies. And there is the old fashioned knocking on doors.

I took two lads on that had passed their test with the Army but had no commercial experience, both under 25, earned circa 43 k 6-7 years ago when they started. Hours varied from 40 - 80, lot of PoA on the longer hours when actually driving/working would be circa 30-35 .

Other tip is never judge a book by its cover. If you ever walked into our office off the street you probably would have thought we were just a very small scruffy outfit scrabbling to make a living when reality was a bit different. :wink: