Liverpool Hauliers in the 1960s

Ray Smyth:
Kev, Thanks for your input on this thread, I try to keep it going, the best that I can. It was started
by “Xkopite” Dave from Kirkby in 2008, well done Dave. I imagine that you are more Manchester
connected, rather than Liverpool, so it begs a question…Do you remember James Spencer Transport ?.
I believe their depot was somewhere between Stretford and Manchester, maybe Chester Road or
Stretford Road, in the area where Duerrs had a jam factory. The reason I ask about James Spencer is
that they had a small depot at Tram Street in the Platt Bridge area of Wigan, with about 8 or 10
rigid flatbed lorries, some of them were ex Guinness Albions, and their main source of work was from
H.J.Heinz at Kitt Green, Wigan, doing multiple drops, mainly to grocers shops and wholesalers.
Spencers depot building and yard was formerly a tram depot, hence the address Tram Street.

Best Regards, Ray.

Thanks for info Ray
When I was working for Humko KRAFT Westinghouse road T/Park there was a James Spenser Leyland 4 wheeler on perminant contract to move packaging around the refinery.
They were based just off Chester Road Old Trafford, they had contracts with Duerrs Jam and the old Nichols Vimto plant. I am sure they had done work for Holt’s brewery. I remember they had a depot at Platt Bridge and seen them in the Heinz plant at Kitt Green. I remember Naylors Leyland had the main contract for Heinz in the 1970s. I had seen a few Spencers in Thomas Witters Lino works Chorley moving base products and small machines.
We moved to Kings Lynn over 35 years ago but visit our god daughter who lives on the main Warrington Road Platt Bridge.
Cheers KEV