The HGV Agency Fandango

Grandpa:

Rjan:

Grandpa:
With a never ending increase in EU regulations, employers found the optimum cost effective way is to pay agencies and let them shoulder the overheads.

If it’s cost effective to evade the regulations (you name such pesky requirements as paying tax, sick pay, and HR costs, none of which arise from EU regulations), then there aren’t too many regs, but too few.

Other than that, good post to read!

No one has mentioned that the ‘pesky requirements’ arose from the EU. Businesses are increasingly looking for ways to maximize their profits and the EU open borders importation of cheap foreign labour from Eastern Europe, plus the agency scamming that is going on, go hand in hand. Are you seriously suggesting that remaining in the EU and importing more cheap foreign labour will make companies raise their salaries?

Immediately after listing such requirements you said “With a never ending increase in EU regulations, employers found the optimum cost effective way is to pay agencies and let them shoulder the overheads.”, and it is on that basis that I clarify that none of the things you mention actually ever originated from the EU.

I don’t want to labour the point though and detract from my praise, since I agree myself that the single market, and it’s enforced open borders for people, goods, services, and capital, are not in workers’ interests.

As I’ve said before, whilst I am entirely hostile to the Tories’ governance and will remain loyal to Corbyn regardless, I support Brexit (as does Corbyn personally, although the party as a whole scarcely does, and the vast majority of working-class Brexiteers apparently find every other excuse not to join the party and support Corbyn).

The majority (not all) of the unions’ leadership are also Eurosceptic, although with their only strongholds left in the likes of the car industry, they cannot possibly support the Tories in executing Brexit who (in pursuing Brexit for reasons that have nothing to do with helping workers) will undoubtedly allow these sectors to be shocked and decimated by the Brexit process, without providing the transitional support that a Labour government would.