PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Ray Smyth:
“DEANB”
Spire Transport Freighter. Dont think we have had one of these on before anyone know anything about them ■■

Hi Dean, The Spire Transport lorry has an image of the crooked church spire in Chesterfield, Derbyshire,
and it has what looks like a Sheffield number plate. Regards, Ray.

Thanks for the info Ray. :smiley:

gingerfold:
“DEANB”

Spire Transport was from Chesterfield, hence the logo with the crooked church spire. Much of their work was for a company called Robinsons who made packaging, and also disposables for the NHS.

Thanks for confirming they were from Chesterfield Graham. :smiley:

sm240:
Nice pics Dean !!!
Thank you very much !!!

:wink:

coomsey:
“colinwallace1” Chas Draper, grain merchants and animal feed producers, from Wigston, Leicester.
Bought Leylands up until the early nineties, then ran a ERF dealership from their Wigston premises for a few years.
Ran some ERF’s (ec14’s) I think, before packing up.
One of their Bisons came in to Cliffe hill for a load dry stone from under the hoppers. The guy who loaded you could get you to the cwt on gross wt, the Draper’s driver knew better n asked for more n got it, they say he grossed 38ton. He pulled up to Chuck off area n cocked her up, the rams came through the body n stuck up through the load !! They brought a JCB to off load her.

There always one “coomsey” :laughing: :laughing:

colinwallace1:
Chas Draper, grain merchants and animal feed producers, from Wigston, Leicester.
Bought Leylands up until the early nineties, then ran a ERF dealership from their Wigston premises for a few years.
Ran some ERF’s (ec14’s) I think, before packing up.

Ha, might have had oats on, the load before. Fill the body to the same height.
They had a fleet of Roadtrains, all trucks were bought brand new. some of the r/trains only ran in harvest time, and parked the rest of the year.
In 91 i did the harvest for them, i had a F reg that had only done 82K. It was still like new.
A lot of things started to change that year, which the long serving drivers didn’t like.
Enjoyed my season on the grain, and were good payers.

Thanks for all the info on Draper’s Colin. They musy have been making some money to only use trucks in the harvest time. :smiley: :wink:

jshepguis:
“ERF-NGC-European” Dean, I think the biggest engine in the Borderer was the ■■■■■■■ 250 with 9-sp Fuller - unless anyone is aware of a larger option! Robert
Dean.
I don’t know if it was a special order but right at the end of the Borderer builds there was a 290 Rolls Royce build for the NCB mines rescue, this motor is still in preservation today , think there is a couple of you tube video’s.
John

Thanks for your comment Robert and for the pic and comments John. I found the following leaflet in the collection,apparently
it was a 280 not 290. :laughing: :wink:

Click on twice to read.

pete smith:
The Eaton Concrete Products ERF Steer bears an old Westmorland C.C. Reg No. “JM 7740” and the only firm that might have been the original owner that I can think of would have been The Shap Granite Co Ltd. with Westmorland being a fairly small and sparsely populated County . So it would be interesting to find out this motor’s history. One possibility is Eaton and Shap Granite were in the same industry so I wonder if there was some sort of “tie up” maybe ? Cheers Bewick.
PS nearest I can get is the prefix “JM” was used between Dec 1931 and Nov 1950.
Morning Dennis,
The Eaton’s ERF is a 1948 model and was new to a W Holden? Cheer’s Pete (NMP)

:unamused:

Cheers Pete ! :wink: