Re: Driving into Gibraltar

Hi All.

I am after some advice on delivering into Gibraltar. We are relocating some computer equipment from Guernsey to Gibraltar in a 7t van and was wondering if anyone has experience of the Customs side and time scales at the border.

Also has anyone any advice on the trip from ST Malo down to Gibraltar. Google maps is showing through France to Bordeaux. Then head for Valladolid/Salamanca on the E80 then E803 to Seville and onto Gibraltar. We will be double manning so having docked at Midday in St Malo on the Saturday we are looking at delivering Monday afternoon.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

You need to parked up overnight on the Spanish side , and get in to the customs compound very early the next day , there will be a queue of commercial vehicles waiting to get in , if you ring Insight transport based at Inkberrow Worcestershire and ask for Steve Walker or Gibert as they have been running to Gibraltar for 30 years .
You will need an agent in Gibraltar to clear customs then your vehicle will follow him on his moped or car to the delivery point .

Parking in Gibraltar is a nightmare , no where to park , once empty, fill up with cheap fuel by the marina and get out .
If the Spanish customs or police are playing up at the border expect long delays

Clearing customs is frantic phone calls and get messed around , maybe getting in to Gib after lunch or late afternoon .
Plenty of places to eat on the Spanish town .
I think the police in Gib still wheel clamp so be careful where to park .
Another route is from the French border , then to Pamplona to Madrid , to Malaga , this is the scenic coast route to Marbella to Gib .
Make sure all the paperwork is in order to clear customs .

You are definitely under 7.5 ton plated weight? No haz of course?
You have correct customs documents from Jersey?

Spanish/Gib customs could be less than an hour, or much longer, but it’s years since I’ve been there. Jersey and Gib are both ‘special cases’ due to their semi-detached relationship with the EU.

It’s a summer weekend:
traffic, traffic and more traffic.
But by the time you get south of Bordeaux it should be a lot lighter.

Any updates on how you got on, I was in Gibraltar last Thursday, I travelled down the national road from malaga, fantastic views all the way down. Took about 25minutes to get through customs on the way in, roughly 40 minutes coming out. From what I’m told I got lucky it can be a nightmare at times. Fill up with diesel before leaving its tax free, think it was £18 for 200 cigarettes, I didn’t bother as I don’t smoke.

By taking the coast road from Malaga , there’s a pit stop in Puerto de Banus , ideal for eyeing up posh top totty wearing a bikini floss .There’s a nightclub there full of ladies that accept cash for some hotel fun .
It’s warm enough all year to swim in the sea ,i left a portable battery radio on , to deter cab thieves, as they think someone is inside with the cab curtains drawn .
Saying that, all over Espania , it’s full of clubs or bag houses .

Customs should be a formality, as your going from one UK territory to another, Driving anything bigger than a moped is a nightmare in Gibraltar, get the customer to meet you in the compound, and follow him to your ETA, fill up with fuel, the 1st garage after the runway is Cepsa, next is BP, cheapest ciggies are at the shed next to bus stop as you leave customs going in on the right.

Thank you for all the advice. We haven’t made the trip yet, waiting on the green light from the client. Will post an update once we complete the delivery.