Are there any Impact Protection Vehicle drivers here?

wilkina:
All depends on who owns the road as to what qualifications are needed, if it’s a Highways England road then you need to hold a Lantra live lane ipv card to deploy or a Lantra non live lane for hard shoulder operations, if it’s a council owned road then it’s a different kettle of fish entirely as it’s all down to what the council deem as acceptable, some will insist on Lantra qualifications others will say anybody deemed competent by the contractor employed, as for method statements then it’s down to the employer to write them and sign them off.

My gaff we aren’t allowed to deploy the cushion on the move it has to be done from a place of safety ie lay by or hard shoulder, as there have been instances of close following vehicles having it deployed on their bonnets.

Lantra aren’t a training provider as far as traffic management is concerned, they are actually a registered charity and produce the relevant sector scheme cards for a fee.

Cushion controls in most vehicles are normally an up and down button and auto brake switch located easily with in reach ie dashboard as for the light arrow controls these can be mounted anywhere but are on a lead and as such you can pull the panel out of its mount as some are on magnets and others slide out and place it somewhere more convenient for use and just stow it back when finished.

Surely if the car is following so close for that to happen then they are breaking multiple rules from the highway code, ie stopping and following distance, and the IPV driver couldn’t see them so “if you can’t see my mirrors I can’t see you” advice. So it’s their fault.