Any old promotor drivers around

Micky Martin operated as an owner driver under the name MARTINFREIGHT and was a Promotor subbie for three years or so from about 74 to 76. He also had other companies he worked for but he did a lot of eastern bloc work for us especially Yugo. He travelled to Iran as an owner driver as well as other destinations. Micky tells me he bought the Scania 110 new, it came with a M/E spec and he did 360,000 miles in it in three years or so. Best lorry he had he reckoned. On one trip he was stuck on Tahir in eastern Turkey for three days with temperatures down to -32 degrees. I have attached a photo Micky took on Tahir in 75 when the weather was a bit better.

In the first photo of him standing in front of VGF 891M his Scania he is on the right wearing the hat. It seems Micky is a bit of a squirrel as he still has that hat. On the left is Promotor driver Mick Mitchell. However, I am pleased he did stash things away as he has given me part of a newsletter Peter Calderwood (Mr Promotor) put out in 75. We have seen part of it on here before, that being the drivers list, but not all of it. Its a load of gobbledygook really but makes interesting reading but one thing I recognised immediately I saw it was where Peter had initialled a change of units. His initials, PC, are very distinctive as was his signature, something I would see hundreds of times during my association with the company.

I have attached all of Micky’s photos and thank him for letting me post them on here.