Any old promotor drivers around

sandway:
Another one of Promotors sales leaflets. I always thought we sold ourselves short in this field. It would have been nice if we could’ve done an annual one but cost had to be taken into account but then it may have led to more business. Yes, thats right! Its the chicken and egg conundrum.

I always thought that the design of logos etc was somewhat lacking. Were these brochures “inhouse” designed? They look rather amateur even for the day…

As to fixing the central heating - it’s fine now - but alas SWMBO refilled the cupboard before I had a chance to look for my photos despite my request to leave it so I could do it and sort some things out. Ho hum!

I have some rather fine photos of when there was a huge storm at sea and the ferry seemed to fall over… All the trucks broke their mooring chains and fell on top of mine… I think it was “Charlie The Hat” was sleeping in it at the time and was unaware of the storm… That night during the ferry journey back to Dover I gave up trying to sleep as I kept being tipped out of bed. When I went to grab a cup of tea I was rather alarmed that the crew were wearing life-belts. While in the canteen the ferry suddenly keeled over a very long way sideways… A very long way… There was massive crashing sound and it went over even more. More than I thought possible to stay afloat… and stayed like that for what seemed a very long time. I think like everyone I wondered if it would just fall on its side… Happily the ship did right itself but all the engines went dead and the ship appeared to have no power and were being buffeted every which way. The crew were pretty ashen faced…

The lorry decks were a real shambles with many trucks lying on top of others… It took much of the day with a crane setting the trucks upright again to offload us all.

Something similar happened to Chick and me when we were on the ferry to Ireland at the time of the Fastnet race which ended in tragedy for so many yachtsmen 19 of whom drowned. I can date it; August 11th, 1979. There was a terrible storm at sea and some of the trucks broke their chains and all sorts of things were sliding around below decks smashing into trucks. On this occasion we missed any damage.