WTD & Rules & Regulations

Career Builder:
Hi all,

Firstly, I apologise if I come across as a bit dim, I’m struggling to get my head round WTD & Rules & Regulations, I’m hoping it’s not as difficult as I’m interpreting it, Google information is confusing me, therefore, to try and make it simple for me to get my head round, can anyone answer the following please?
Your questions do not relate to the WTD they relate to the drivers hours regulations.
Drivers have to work to both the drivers hours and tachograph regulations and the road transport working time regulations (WTD).

What’s the difference between EU & UK (domestic) WTD?
Basically unless there’s an EU exemption for the job you do or the vehicle you drive you’re on EU regulations.

If i understand correctly, HGV driver’s can only driver up to10hrs per day, with a minimum 9hr rest period, is this correct?
On EU regulations you can drive 9 hours per shift, this can be extended to 10 hours twice a week.
You should have 11 hours daily rest which can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times between weekly rest periods.

HGV drivers can work up to 15hrs per day, but driving must be limited to 10hrs maximum, is this correct?
On EU regulations you can do 13 hours per day from the start of the shift to the end of the shift, you can have 3 reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods, a reduced daily rest period means you can do a 15 hour shift.

9hr daily driving x 5 = 45hrs weekly, x 2 weeks = 90hrs fortnightly legal limit, is this correct?
You can drive a maximum of 56 hours per week and 90 hours per fortnight.

15hrs driving + daily work x 5 = 72hrs weekly, x 2 weeks = 144hrs, is this legal, if so, where is the driver’s weekly rest period.
Sorry I don’t understand what you mean, you can do a maximum of 144 hours between weekly rest periods.

Don’t worry about not understanding the regulations, it can take a while to get your head round them but feel free to ask questions about anything you’re not sure about.

Drivers’ hours and tachographs: goods vehicles

EU Drivers’ hours and tachographs: goods vehicles (Simplified)