Has Mercedes Always Been This Bad?

gingerfold:
I’m not familiar with modern fuel injection systems (and I don’t want to be at my stage of this game), but back in the day when we had Simms and CAV fuel injection pumps there was a very fine wire mesh filter in the injector pump as a failsafe guard against anything getting through the inline filter.

If it’s anything even along the lines of older primitive ‘common rail’ car type injection systems very regular fuel filter changes are absolutely essential with usual service intervals being too far apart for that.Sometimes to the point of immediately throwing away a recently fitted one and then replacing it again as a precaution.Because there is a lot of scope for foreign matter to get into the system and then get forced through under high pressure to critical fine tolerance components like injectors.In that case at least being high pressure filters fitted between the pump and the fuel rail.On my aftermarket system at least I’d actually like to fit another one in series.Because the car doesn’t get a lot of use and therefore regular fuel fills but don’t have the space to fit it in the line before the fuel rail and most aftermarket filters are non pressure type,only meant for use in the return line after the regulator anyway.Which is obviously too late to protect the injectors.