Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Badger:

robthedog:

roolechat:
When discharging at Thoresen 7 Berth

It was sharp left off the linkspan

& then straight into the shed for Customs waterguard. If no customs agent in attendance,leave the paperwork in TCF’s freight office,drop the trailer,remove lights & lenses + rear No plate & away unit only !

If arriving on the freighter-Viking 1V -it was invariably No 2 north compound.Never the most popular with drivers ( maximum 12) it really did help the development of the unaccompanied trailer market

Some nice LTS Freight pictures there the 2800 DAF would that have been a subbie ?

Chris that’s an early tilt I can’t remember any like that, I did like the white coloured one, was the Daf Dave Howard?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

It was a DAF demo unit -but not from Adams Morey, Thinking back on paperwork, every trailer had it’s own" trailer bag" which contained the Carnet de Passage ,permit(s)-the specified name on the permit of course matching the name displayed on the Tractor unit’s ‘O’ licence & the backing sheet having the correct watermark !- & the GV60 certificate with its photographs
The GV60 was issued by the Ministry & was an approval certificate for the transport of goods under customs seal (TIR) Every new trailer had to go to Botley (or Salisbury) test station for examination & approval & getting an appointment for that was always a pain in the ****,as was the renewal when again the trlr had to go to the Test station & every tilt repair patch was often examined in great detail along with the straps,TIR cable etc. Sadly,it was never possible to combine a GV60 renewal with the trailer MOT (Seperate Ministry departments apparently,but the same examiner for both operations !)
Rental trls often had the GV60 affixed to the bottom of the headboard behind translucent plastic but rental companies often had difficulty in controlling the Carnet de Passages & it was always frustrating collecting a rental trlr,checking it out & then finding no carnet available or insufficient volets left in it .Carnets were issued in the UK by the AA at Basingstoke who were always assiduous in chasing discharged Carnets