Cumbria companies

Leyland600:
Dennis, two brains are better than one, I always thought that the garage on the low side of the road was secondary to the main one in the quarry but only visiting the yard a couple of times in 1962 did not realise that it must have been their original yard so you are probably right. I think that that building may have been used as their paint shop.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Aye Gerald, from my recollection frae doon this end I reckon JWG would have moved over the road and started to develop their new depot in the mid/late 60’s 60’s. They started selling Atkinsons and Boden/Crane Fruehauf at this time and my Pal the late John McGuffie bought his first new Atki 4 wheeler in late’68 “G” reg ( The one the late Tyson Burridge has in preservation) and shortly after this in about 1970 he also bought a new Atki Silver Knight prior to the Borderer being launched he would have dealt with George who was still part of the firm then. At about this time in 1970 John bought a new Scania 80 unit from JWG and I don’t believe Maurice was very enthusiastic about Scania which again would be about the time George left JWG and set up Graham Commercials in Carlisle. Maurice carried on selling Atkinsons but this came to an abrupt end when Scotts of Nottingham were appointed Distributors and opened up at Penrith in 1971. But Maurice continued to be faithful to Gardner engined Atkinsons and Seddon Atkinsons later on. We did a small bit of subbing off JWG in the early 70’s at Bewick Transport and I did buy a new C/F dry freight van and a couple of C/F 40 ft flats off Maurice and then when I bought John McGuffie’s flat business off him in 1974( John had bought 7 C/F flats off JWG from 1970 to 1973) our connection with JWG increased a fair bit as we then had motors running into Marchon on a daily basis with new 45gal drums from Liverpool. So we regularly reloaded back from Workington Steel down to Lancs / Cheshire areas. IIRC Victor Thompson occupied JWG’s old garage after they moved over the road, don’t know if Victor bought or rented but I tend to think it would have been rented. I know I am a bit vague but I think I have got the bones of the tale somewhat correct, mebe Hodge could put us dead straight eh! Cheers Dennis.