The music thread

Mazzer2:

Franglais:
As a teenager I was very strict in what I loved and hated musically. Rock good, reggae and soul bad. Now I’ve grown up a bit (well I’m older,anyway) my tastes are much more eclectic.
Strangely I reckon I’m more tolerant of many things than I used to be. It ain’t compulsory for us ugly old gits to be curmudgeonly too!

Trouble is that when I was growing up you could only like one sort of music it was much more tribal then, I liked reggae ska and Mods etc if you then turned round said Led Zepplin aren’t bad either people looked at you as if you had two heads, as John Peel said there are only two types of music good and bad.

You’ve got it right there. Music was a tribal badge, a symbol of what and who you were. We/I seemed to define music we liked, by what it wasn’t as much as what it was.
John Peel playing punk rock seemed like heresy to me at the time. I am a fan of the better stuff now though.
Never did get on with some of the overly pretentious rock bands “concept album” stuff. Some of it was valid, some just guff. And the obligatory 20min drum solo…No thanks. Yes, skillfull and physically demanding, but I don’t “get it”.
But having left my teenage years, and that tribe long ago, it’s good to have no self imposed restrictions on what I can listen to.
There is another form of “snobbery” though isn’t there? It’s being in the little group that knew a band before they hit the big time. Seems to be again some form of exclusively? No one else can be “the first” can they?
Having to define oneself by excluding others doesn’t sound too healthy, really?
But that’s just me getting above myself, and showing off the research material for the PhD course I dropped out of, in order to follow my star as an 'airy arsed trucker!