Quit my "job" over this

ETS:

stuwozere1:
I’ve been that broken down driver, but they asked a driver only 6hrs into shift to swap with me, just that; they asked. He was well within his right to say no chance but he bailed me out of a night out after I was already hitting 12h and 2.5h from base.

Your boss should have been clear with you from the start and asked the question. It’s not your fault the driver was on o/t and running out of hours.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Yeah i can understand that but 1. It was a van so no card and 2. he was on a local delivery with 2 pallets 20 miles from the yard and I was coming back from 2 drops and a collection 150 miles from the yard with 6+ driving hours on the tacho. I could’ve done the delivery which was 5 mins away from the spot where he broke down and went home no problem.

robroy:
Thought that was what agency was …hiring yourself out on an hourly rate.
It was an unforseen circumstance which often happens in transport.
If I was getting paid 12 hours for sitting on my arse for the same as 12 hours graft, it wouldn’t bother me tbh.

You hire yourself to do a job
It was a fairly predictable thing, I’ve seen them drive their vans into the red line from cold start, no pre-use checks etc.
Sitting on your ■■■ ok, what about standing out in the cold, backpack in hand on the roadside

Why tf were you stood outside instead of in the cab?
There’s one thing getting out of a vulnerable car to stand, but in the unlikely event anyway, of a truck getting hit I can not see a problem.
I’ve kipped in my bunk on the hard shoulder numerous times waiting for tyre fitters and the like.
Tbf mate you chose to take the money, if I had felt as bad as you about it , I’d have abandoned ship and got a lift home…you were not forced to stay there.