Quit my "job" over this

I was doing my shift last night, happily cruising along nearly home when I heard my phone ringing…pulled over, checked phone - 4 missed calls back to back, from the office. Ring em, get told to get back a bit to a broken down vehicle. Ok, get there, drive around a bit, found him. Now, transfer his load onto your lorry. Ok, done. Now, hand over your keys and get your ■■■■ out. What? Then wait with the broken piece of crap for the recovery, bye.

Me = agency :cry:
Other driver = permanent employee :smiley:
Me 20 mins later: “that’s it, I quit”. Ended up with a 12 hour shift, 2 hours out in the cold and a 4:30 a.m. finish after a 16:00 start the day before. Sent a msg to the agency as soon as I got home that I’m out.

I understand asking someone to “go the extra mile” but that just felt wrong, man. Guy at the office said other driver was on overtime so he had to “watch his ours” which made 0 sense to me.

Oh yeah, when the mechanic finally arrived he managed to jump start it and the engine made the most horrible, agonizing sounds imaginable :slight_smile: You can’t tell me a driver wouldn’t notice this earlier, like, at the start of the shift, and VOR it. Instead he took a gamble, took the vehicle out, got the worse of the two outcomes and somehow I end up with his problems

I’ve been that broken down driver, but they asked a driver only 6hrs into shift to swap with me, just that; they asked. He was well within his right to say no chance but he bailed me out of a night out after I was already hitting 12h and 2.5h from base.

Your boss should have been clear with you from the start and asked the question. It’s not your fault the driver was on o/t and running out of hours.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thought that was what agency was …hiring yourself out on an hourly rate.
It was an unforseen circumstance which often happens in transport.
If I was getting paid 12 hours for sitting on my arse for the same as 12 hours graft, it wouldn’t bother me tbh.

stuwozere1:
I’ve been that broken down driver, but they asked a driver only 6hrs into shift to swap with me, just that; they asked. He was well within his right to say no chance but he bailed me out of a night out after I was already hitting 12h and 2.5h from base.

Your boss should have been clear with you from the start and asked the question. It’s not your fault the driver was on o/t and running out of hours.

Yeah i can understand that but 1. It was a van so no card and 2. he was on a local delivery with 2 pallets 20 miles from the yard and I was coming back from 2 drops and a collection 150 miles from the yard with 6+ driving hours on the tacho. I could’ve done the delivery which was 5 mins away from the spot where he broke down and went home no problem.

robroy:
If I was getting paid 12 hours for sitting on my arse for the same as 12 hours graft, it wouldn’t bother me tbh.

You hire yourself to do a job
It was a fairly predictable thing, I’ve seen them drive their vans into the red line from cold start, no pre-use checks etc.
Sitting on your ■■■ ok, what about standing out in the cold, backpack in hand on the roadside

So you got paid for 12 hours, it’s still half a shift, the other bloke would have ended up over his “ours”

It’s what I would have done, got the load and a broken down vehicle back home including his 2 drivers.

Cold? In June?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETS:

stuwozere1:

Yeah i can understand that but 1. It was a van so no card and 2. he was on a local delivery with 2 pallets 20 miles from the yard and I was coming back from 2 drops and a collection 150 miles from the yard with 6+ driving hours on the tacho. I could’ve done the delivery which was 5 mins away from the spot where he broke down and went home no problem.

robroy:

You hire yourself to do a job
It was a fairly predictable thing, I’ve seen them drive their vans into the red line from cold start, no pre-use checks etc.
Sitting on your ■■■ ok, what about standing out in the cold, backpack in hand on the roadside

Why tf were you stood outside instead of in the cab?
There’s one thing getting out of a vulnerable car to stand, but in the unlikely event anyway, of a truck getting hit I can not see a problem.
I’ve kipped in my bunk on the hard shoulder numerous times waiting for tyre fitters and the like.
Tbf mate you chose to take the money, if I had felt as bad as you about it , I’d have abandoned ship and got a lift home…you were not forced to stay there.

robroy:
There’s one thing getting out of a vulnerable car to stand, but in the unlikely event anyway, of a truck getting hit I can not see a problem.
I’ve kipped in my bunk on the hard shoulder numerous times waiting for tyre fitters and the like.
Tbf mate you chose to take the money, if I had felt as bad as you about it , I’d have abandoned ship and got a lift home…you were not forced to stay there.

It wasn’t a truck, it was a van, stopped in lane 2 after a bend on a 40mph road and traffic was getting intensive with nearly 0 power left in the battery the hazard lights were about to fail any moment. I thought about getting a cab but it would’ve cost me £50-60 to get back to the yard and I would’ve got sacked if I did that anyway so I figured I’d stick it out; I didn’t want to call anyone at 3:30 a.m. to bother them with MY problems, either :laughing:

Personally I think quitting was going over the top. With transport (especially with agency work) always expect the unexpected, just put it down to a bad day. I know its a bit soul destroying sat in a broken down vehicle on the side of road but you getting paid for it and you haven’t got to sort it out or pay for the repairs.

As a fellow agency driver I know their own drivers come first. You can be replaced and you got a couple of hours extra overtime out of it, so it carn’t be all bad :wink:

ETS:

robroy:

It wasn’t a truck, it was a van, stopped in lane 2 after a bend on a 40mph road and traffic was getting intensive with nearly 0 power left in the battery the hazard lights were about to fail any moment. I thought about getting a cab but it would’ve cost me £50-60 to get back to the yard and I would’ve got sacked if I did that anyway so I figured I’d stick it out; I didn’t want to call anyone at 3:30 a.m. to bother them with MY problems, either :laughing:

Look mate, I’m just giving my take on it as you asked for opinions.
In that particular situation, and if I felt as bad as you about it…
I would have rang the agency first, telling them I was ■■■■■■ and to arrange something within the next couple of hours that I would allow them before I ■■■■ ed off…I’m fairly sure that they could if they wanted to.
No joy?..so ring the Police to inform of abandoned broke down van, then use a bit of initiative and get a lift home.
Sacked?..who cares, it’s a ■■■■ 10 a penny agency, who usually show zero loyalty from their end, so not the end of the world…their problem.

robroy:

Have to say I’m in full agreement. As an agency driver I expect to be the one to get the arse end of the deal. If I had enough hours and it was a driver who was running out and it was the difference between him getting home or not I’d have not hesitated, in fact I would have actually volunteered and I have done exactly that a few months ago, giving my load which was ready to another driver who had something important to get back for who had been waiting hours for his and was going to be waiting another hour or two after I’d be long gone.

Lorry driving is going to throw you things like this and worse. If you’re not prepared to accept it then you need to go find another field to work in.

ETS:
Yeah i can understand that but 1. It was a van so no card and 2. he was on a local delivery with 2 pallets 20 miles from the yard and I was coming back from 2 drops and a collection 150 miles from the yard with 6+ driving hours on the tacho.

He still has drivers hours, in his case GB Domestic Hours, and working time directive to comply with. You had plenty of time left. ■■■■ it up buttercup or go find a non-driving job because this is going to happen more than once in your time driving lorries, agency or full time.

Conor:

ETS:
Yeah i can understand that but 1. It was a van so no card and 2. he was on a local delivery with 2 pallets 20 miles from the yard and I was coming back from 2 drops and a collection 150 miles from the yard with 6+ driving hours on the tacho.

He still has drivers hours, in his case GB Domestic Hours, and working time directive to comply with. You had plenty of time left. ■■■■ it up buttercup or go find a non-driving job because this is going to happen more than once in your time driving lorries, agency or full time.

I don’t know how you’re allowed to drive if you can’t read

My last break had been at 21:30, what about my ■■■■■■■ WTD hours? How the ■■■■ is a driver on a single local run 20 ■■■■■■■ miles from the yard on more hours than one coming from a 300 mile round-trip who happens to be an agency driver who conveniently is paid a flat rate with no OT

You’re told to swap and wait with a broken down vehicle obviously as part of a reasonable planning decision and instruction by the management.Don’t see the problem regardless of whether you’re agency or not.

As to whether agency v permanent matters any more I’ve recently walked away from two non agency self employed car delivery/collection job offers.Which also required the ‘driver’ to work as an unpaid car sales executive personally and financially responsible for successful retail customer handovers.Or personally and financially responsible for end of lease condition assessment and subsequent negotiation with lease customer.Obviously acting as an unqualified under paid intermediary,between lease company and customer in that regard,all for the massive sum of £28.That’s after being expected to make my own way between ‘delivery’/‘collection’ jobs fair enough,oh wait either walking or using public transport.Whichever option is deemed most ‘cost effective’ by the firm and no payment will be made assuming the latter.

Then to add insult to injury replied to an advert for an employed permanent garage service delivery/collection ‘driver’ at around minimum wage.To be told that,in addition to the yard marshalling duties,there’s probably no room for negotiation for a job share arrangement with another semi retired person,regarding the 8 am - 6 pm Monday - Friday + Saturday mornings hours.Oh wait and my back issues might be a problem regarding some of the ‘other’ possible unstated/unknown ‘duties’ as required. :open_mouth:

I’d guess the lesson is don’t burn your bridges and pick your arguments with employers wisely. :bulb:

i read it that you were annoyed having to stop what you were doing ,carry over his load and then to cap it all he whizzes off “im allrite jack” all smug , leaving you to eat sheet stranded in a broken jalopy ,i can understand that. Anyhoo its history now .

Time is Time on agency, regardless of how much of yours gets wasted. I see no difference between waiting at the roadside for 12 hours paid and working 12 hours paid. I struggle to understand people’s lack of flexibility sometimes… It makes sense for a full timer on job & knock to want to skive off - but not an agency driver paid by the hour FFS ?!

Winseer:
Time is Time on agency, regardless of how much of yours gets wasted. I see no difference between waiting at the roadside for 12 hours paid and working 12 hours paid. I struggle to understand people’s lack of flexibility sometimes… It makes sense for a full timer on job & knock to want to skive off - but not an agency driver paid by the hour FFS ?!

Having my time wasted on my shift is one thing, on someone else’s…say tomorrow the janitor doesn’t show up, would I mind mopping up the floor? Time is time, you get paid, right. What about a ■■■■■■■, no one has to know. Or sit by this abandoned vehicle of ours like a ■■■■■■■ dog on a leash, you still get paid, rite :grimacing:

Imagine a co-worker/someone you barely know, calls you at 16:30 (let’s say you finish work at 17) and asks you to get to him because his car broke. Being the good soul that you no doubt are, you hop into your car and drive to the poor fellow, ready to give him a lift back home. Instead he asks you to get out of your cozy, warm car and hand over your keys (he’ll drive the car to your house and park it there, don’t worry - he’s your neighbor so he can walk home :slight_smile: ) while you wait with his car for when/if a recovery vehicle comes.

Some people…

Trouble is ETS you put this post up. But you don’t like it if people don’t agree with you. It’s over now, but you got remember you are agency so no one in the transport Office or in the agency is bothered about you. If you don’t want to go back they just replace you with someone else.

You would probably be better off with a full time job where they will look after you better.

ETS:
I don’t know how you’re allowed to drive if you can’t read

My last break had been at 21:30, what about my [zb] WTD hours? How the [zb] is a driver on a single local run 20 [zb] miles from the yard on more hours than one coming from a 300 mile round-trip who happens to be an agency driver who conveniently is paid a flat rate with no OT

I never said he was on more hours, I said he also has hours to comply with. It could be that he’s knocking on the limit of the 48hr average week for WTD so can only do 8hr shifts. I’ve had it where because of WTD I’ve only had 5hrs left out of 60hrs for the week to work on a 6th day so came in and did shunting because if I’d gone out on a delivery and anything happened then chances are I’d have exceeded the 60hr weekly limit.

Having my time wasted on my shift is one thing, on someone else’s…say tomorrow the janitor doesn’t show up, would I mind mopping up the floor? Time is time, you get paid, right. What about a ■■■■■■■, no one has to know. Or sit by this abandoned vehicle of ours like a [zb] dog on a leash, you still get paid, rite :grimacing:

Yes, you get paid. As long as you’re in your legal hours and what they’re asking you to do is not illegal there is absolutely no reason why you cannot do it. The fact it takes you over your planned finish or is after the start time of another shift is neither here nor there. I’m on a late trunk tomorrow night. Should I be complaining because I’ll be finishing 3-4hrs after the day drivers have left or 2hrs after the factory day shift has started? If there’s a problem with the earlier trunk so my changeover is late and my planned 10hr 39min shift takes 12/13/14hrs should I complain about that as well and throw my dummy out and quit the job?

Lorry driving clearly isn’t for you. Given your whining about finishing at 04:30 after a 16:00 start it sounds like you’re in the wrong job. You only did 12.5hrs, the average shift in truck driving excluding breaks is 11hrs, it isn’t even a reduced daily rest until you’ve done over 13hrs and many drivers will have worked longer than you. I don’t think there’s anyone else on this board who would think of it as being anything other than one of those things that happens and is part of the job.

ETS:
…say tomorrow the janitor doesn’t show up, would I mind mopping up the floor? Time is time, you get paid, right. What about a ■■■■■■■, no one has to know. Or sit by this abandoned vehicle of ours like a [zb] dog on a leash, you still get paid, rite :grimacing:

Thing is mate, being a janitor does not come under the parameters of road transport and/or being a driver and (unless I’ve been doing something wrong all these years. :open_mouth: ) neither is giving a ■■■■■■■■.
Where as attending a broken down truck IS. :bulb:

ETS:

robroy:
It wasn’t a truck, it was a van, stopped in lane 2 after a bend on a 40mph road and traffic was getting intensive with nearly 0 power left in the battery the hazard lights were about to fail any moment. :laughing:

Sounds unsafe to be transferring two pallets over!!